Macbook HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bored911, Mar 7, 2007.

1. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

Hi, i was looking into buying a Hardrive for my macbook, core duo, but i don't know what to get. Can you point me in the right direction? thanks

2. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Get a WD Passport external drive, pull out the drive and slap it in your Macbook and put the Macbook drive in your Passport. Now you've got a larger Macbook drive PLUS an external drive. Where I am (canada) you can get a 120gb Passport for $109 at Costco, I understand its even less at the US Costco.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Is the drive in the WD Passport a SATA drive? Most portable external drives use IDE drives, which would not be compatible with the MacBook. If the OP wants to use his old drive in an external enclosure, I know macsales.com sells some good 2.5" SATA cases for that exact purpose.

4. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Mine was an SATA drive. They're not all. You buy it, run WD Diagnostic on it to get the part number, check it on their site and if its SATA, do the above.

5. mini.boss macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at buying a replacement SATA for my macbook and saw your post. I had a WD120 Passport that i've been using for the last 3 months and thought it was IDE. I popped it open and its SATA so that saves me a ton of money. Now i may even buy an AppleTV with the money i just saved... (but probably not. Slingcatcher looks like the way to go)