MacBook... HOME BUILT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bob marley, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bob marley macrumors newbie

I think on ebay, sometimes on occasion people sell motherboards taken from their broken MacBook.

Seriously, i dont know if its possible, but this could lead to some good opportunities! I mean really, none of us like playing games on the intel annoying accelerator... it doesent even give ENOUGH shared ram. Now some guy who knows about building notebooks can build his own macbook, and this time do it RIGHT and get it for cheaper if he buys things of sites like amazon and ebay. And if your really a tech geek, you might be able to replace that intel accelerator with a Mobility Radeon GPU!

I think this would be nice... if possible.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

might i suggest that you change the way you describe the "intel accelerator" before mods get wind of it. that kind of remark is not tolerated on MR, just FYI.

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

You clearly don’t understand computer hardware. And your derogatory comments don’t do much for people’s confidence in your intelligence.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If it was that simple to do something like this, don't you think there'd most likely be a market for it, and would be quite commonly discussed?

It's not. And I'm sure Apple would be quick to step in if the mass population started doing something like that. ;)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

OS X can only be put on Apple Hardware, so no, you cannot build your own Mac

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

PlaceofDis is right. Not only will OS X be extremely buggy but it's illegal.

:apple:

7. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Also, isn't the Intel GMA 950 on the logic board itself, while a Radeon or whatever its own card? There probably wouldn't be room for it without taking something else out, like the AirPort card, or something, right?

8. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

No. The other Radeons and Nvidias are just dedicated chips on the mainboard like the intel chip. except in the mac pros

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Once I got my head around that astoundingly weird first post, this was the first thing I thought of. There's no room AND no architecture for a non-integrated video card in a MacBook. Even though it's still integrated onto the board, it's done in a different way. If you're that pissed about having an Intel GMA950, buy a MacBook Pro. I really don't get people sometimes. Many PC laptops have Intel graphics too. Get over it.

10. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I think you'd have better luck buying an iMac and attaching a battery to it, then trying the plan in the original post. Neither are good ideas, but at least the latter is plausible.

11. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I'm confused. What's this all about? I feel like my selective hearing is working overtime.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Perhaps I'm not up to date on the latest insults and slang, but I can't imagine what word you could use to describe an inanimate object such as a video card that would be so bad that you couldn't use it on MR.

13. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Basically, Bob Marley wants to build his own MacBook because he's too scabby to pay for a MacBook Pro and he wants a nice graphics card.

14. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

except on the iMac 24, where the GPU card is a mini PCI sort of affair... ;)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Of course, that feature is utterly useless when, from what I understand, mini PCI GPUs are damned near impossible to find unless you're a manufacturer and buying a ton in bulk.

16. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Well, Im not sure what was in the original post before the edit but I must say, some of you are very rude. If you read the post he clearly stated a MacBook motherboard, and last time a checked that is Apple hardware. I have an idea as to what the OP is saying, someone should take a MacBook Pro logicboard and place it in a MacBook case. I might be wrong but thats what i got.

17. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

my hearing is getting better! thought I was SOL on it - now I see.

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Theres room dell has done it on a 12" but anyways whats the big deal with integrated it saves battery life and it's not as bad as people think if it can run aero on vista that's pretty good.

19. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Yeah sorry forgot that one which is weird as i am looking at a iMac 24 whilst typing this :p

20. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Let us remember that Bob said somewhere else he is 11.

I have an 11 year old daughter (who, if she talked liked he types wouldn't ever get on the computer, but i digress)... anyway, in this 11 year old mind - all things ARE possible.

You can think it - someone CAN do it.....

21. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Then bob is about to be banned.....from the registration agreement:

"You must be at least 13 years old to register for the MacRumors family of sites and to post in the forums."

And for an 11 year old he had a disgusting tongue about him

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

pwnd.

And I'm really curious to know what word(s) he used to describe the video card :D

23. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Me too.

This is one bizarre thread.

Weird topic. Weird tangents. And one censored, marginally criminal insult of a video card by an 11 year old! Oh my!

24. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

ROFL, I confess - me too..... i couldn't dream up anything that would work. And heck, my neighbor out back won't talk to me because i used a cuss word in a conversation about him filling in a road. "Good southern ladies don't cuss". Ya well, i'm a CA girl - we do!!

And if my 11 year old said it...... she'd not leave her room! LOL!

25. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

As am I, Im also wondering why people wish to ban a 11 year old kid? Thats pretty sad. I just posted in another thread about putting a G5 in an iBook I think I need to go to bed.