Macbook: How well can it push external monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Veritas&Equitas, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Hey all, I'm getting rid of my Powerbook 1.5 ghz and getting a 1.83 Macbook with 2 gigs of memory and 80 gig 7200 rpm hard drive. I also have a Dell 2405...how well will the GMA950 push to an external LCD? Does it work, is the highest res it pushes 1280x800? Would you advise doing it? Do any of you do the same thing? Thanks for the response in advance...I'm wondering what my options are here!:confused:

P.S. On a side note, how much worse is the MB keyboard than the PB/MBP keyboard? I've never used it...

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I was worried, too, but there's no performance loss. I have a 2407wfp and it works great. A lot of the time I use it in clamshell mode, but when the fans kick on, I open it up.. still can't notice a difference. Oh, and no, it doesn't kick out 1280x800.. it kicks out the full 1920x1200.

Oh, and I had a PB before the MB, and I actually prefer the MBs keyboard.. also looks better, IMO.

3. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I'm guessing you have used your PowerBook with the 2405, correct? If so, how does it perform? I'm currently running on a 2005FPW and everything seems fine. I'm thinking about upgrading to Dell's next size.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

How do you have it connected up? I connected mine to the VGA input (I bought the VGA adapter for presentations etc) on my 2405 and I just can't get it to display properly.

5. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

IMHO the macbook keyboard sucks. In fact my ibook keyboard is 100 times better. Go with a MBP. ;)

6. cschreppel macrumors regular

I've got the 2.0GHz MacBook with 2GB RAM powering my 17" Dell display. Mostly, I use it in clamshell mode. Powers the display beautifully. Actually looking to ditch the 17" and get an Apple 20" Cinema Display.

For what it's worth, I'm also running my Apple keyboard and Kensington mouse on the Dell's USB hub connected to the MacBook, running smoothly as well. Even connected a USB dongle for Pro Tools plugin authorizations as well as a bus powered USB keyboard (M-Audio Oxygen 8) via the display as well and there's no lag or anything.

But yeah, really digging this setup. Never did the clamshell thing before, but I'm really digging it! It's amazing what these machines can do.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Use DVI.

8. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

Get the biggest monitor you can afford.. they last forever and you will never be happy.. you will always want bigger... take from me.. I have 23 inches and I am dying for 30..

: )

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The iBook keyboard is horrible in comparison, IMO. The iBook's keyboard is so springy, it felt like a trampoline.

I like the PowerBook's keyboard a bit more, but they're 97% similar, IMO. I don't see how something like the MB's keyboard causes so many differing opinions. Both are excellent keyboards. I like my old PB's keyboard more, but someone else could easily like the MB's keyboard more than the PBs.

And I'd also like to hear what types of external displays people are using with their MB, and whether there are any troubles.

10. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I feel like the people that spend some time with the MacBook's keyboard get used to it and like it, and the ones that don't, don't give it a chance.

I'm uing my MacBook with a Dell 2005FPW, and it has worked perfectly since the day I got it.

11. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I think the PB keyboards were much better than the iBooks. Much more solid and responsive. but the MacBook keybooard is on par or better with the PB in terms of comfort and quality. I have used/owned all three for extended periods of time.