MacBook... I dont think so!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rye9, Mar 19, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Under Buyer's Guide... it lists the MacBook Pro computer as MacBook. Just putting it out there so the mods can correct this.

2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I noticed this as well. They should really fix this before impending announcement of the real MacBook. I'm also disappointed that the iPod timeline is useless because the iPod was "split over multiple lines." C'mon, how long ago was that? I think the Buyer's Guide can be a very useful resource, but it needs to be updated.

3. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i remember seeing that the ipod line was going to be split up.....it's a pity to see that hasnt happened yet.

Mind you, with the intel transition, there's going to be a lot of updating of names from now on methinks....the speculation about the iBook being renamed a macbook may cause some confusion among noobs.

S

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'll fix the MacBook thing. As for the ipod. I tried looking at the alternative split a while ago, but the problem is it's such a moving target. For example... there is no mini now. The nano just came out. The photo is gone. etc...

things only have had a couple of releases at most of any particular form factor

I'll take a look again.

arn

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What about just removing the iPod altogether?

Lets be honest, Apple updates their iPods so often that it is never safe to buy a new one. :p

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Perhaps this is just me, but, to a large extent, I consider the nano the "new" mini, since it replaced it. I'd say you could combine the mini/nano line and the time between updates for that line would be relatively consistant. I could be wrong, though. Also, the full-size iPod, regardless of what it is called or what it's capabilities have been, could be another "line."

I do agree, though, that it's harder than it used to be to keep track of these updates.

7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

That is very true. I agree with the idea to remove the iPods because they just get updated every few months...and there is no really good time to buy one.

8. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I am currently reading 'Apple Confidential'. Do you know, that when Apple introduced the first consumer laptop (in 1989 or something) Steve Jobs wanted to call it the 'BookMac'? Seems awfully similar to 'MacBook'!

9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Arn, I'd split it like this, for now:

iPod (includes 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G ALL)
    iPod mini/nano (includes 1G and 2G minis, Nano)
    iPod Low-End (shuffle)

10. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'd do it the same way.

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Why do need buyersguide entries for iPods that aren't being produced anymore? They aren't going to be updated...

You need a Nano, Shuffle, and 5G entry....I would think...am I not getting something?

12. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Yeah, that sounds good... We dont need a "BUYER'S" guide for discontinued products because well... obviously they wont really be bought. Maybe a ranking of Don'y Buy- Discontinued coule be created so we can keep those products on the list. :D But seriously, yeah, the discontinued products should obviously have a Guide, but noy a Buyer's Guide. (which they don't, but im just sayin if the iPod line is broken up, then discontinued models shouldnt be included)

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

because people buy used occasionally. (?)

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If (if!) old models and their replacements fit into the same release pattern, then the old release dates are still useful.

15. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Exactly. You could put all the full sized iPods into one category and then use the update times on each to calculate the average time between updates. It wouldn't be perfect but it would give a general idea.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good idea, exactly what I was thinking too...

17. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Yeah. That's a good way to split it. :)

18. tk421 macrumors 6502a

I've always thought that this was the most logical division, too. The shuffle is definitely on a different release cycle than the others. And the iPod photo was really just a progression of the regular iPod before it became the 5G.

And, as others have said regarding the iPod models that aren't being produced anymore: you need their release dates to figure the average time between updates.

19. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

how these threads are dug up after months is such a mystery to me...

20. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

It's no mystery. Someone did a SEARCH before posting a new thread. Not everyone is around when a thread starts.

21. tk421 macrumors 6502a

Well, look at the Buyer's Guide. The iPod problem still exists, so the sentiments expressed in this thread are still relevant. Would you prefer I started a brand new thread and restated everything?

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think Arn's position remains the same as it was in this thread ... I don't see it as a problem ... If you want to buy an iPod ... then buy an iPod ... if you want new about upcoming iPods you can find all the iPod articles under the iPod section. At the same time I don't think all those lines could support a section on their own, shuffle rumors don't really happen that often