Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adiddas125

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Hi! Ive been lurking on this forum and been reading alot of great advice from you all! I have decided to buy an apple macbook tonight (blackbook), ordered 2gb ram, and a 120gb hdd (internal), and a 500gb external. I have never used a mac before, but I look forward to using one soon for medical school! I hope this macbook is as good as everyone says it is.

As far as upgrading my hard drive, do I need to buy a new copy of Mac OSX tiger when I install my 120gb Seagate? Anyone wanna buy a 80gb Hdd? :p Thanks for all your advices and help! I look forward to some great responses as usual.

aaronb

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you will love it!

I think that you can use the OS X disk that comes with your MacBook to reinstall it on the upgraded HD.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
adiddas125 said:
As far as upgrading my hard drive, do I need to buy a new copy of Mac OSX tiger when I install my 120gb Seagate? Anyone wanna buy a 80gb Hdd? :p Thanks for all your advices and help! I look forward to some great responses as usual.
Your MacBook comes with all the back-up dvds and software. Just use those to install OS X on your new HD. Be sure to format.

Shazkar

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2006
Hey I just did the same thing, same internals, except a white one, and an external half the size of yours. You can use the OS X discs that come with it on your new hard drive and it'll work nicely.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
nice. i was looking at the black macbook for a long time before ultimately going with the 15 inch macbook pro. just ordered it today!

my buddy got the black macbook and i know it runs really well. hope you enjoy it. i can't wait for mine!

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Blackbook's are awesome you will love it, especially as your a mac newbie.....I remember the days of my first mac :p

ShaDow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.