macbook/iMac purchase question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by camtred, Nov 13, 2006.

1. camtred macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2006
    Please forgive my computer illiteracy, but I need some guidance regarding a new purchase. We currently have two Macs: 15" 1.33 GHz Powerbook G4/256MB(!) for me, and my wife has a 12" 800 MHz iBook. We are obviously in dire need of a speed bump and we are considering all of the options. We initially got two laptops and have enjoyed the portability, so we thought we might just replace both of ours with the new midrange Macbooks. Neither of us are always on the go with the computer, however, so we've also considered getting an iMac for the main "home" computer and keeping our current laptops for portable options. From reading the forums, I gather another option would be to buy both the Macbook laptops and get a monitor for one of them, a wireless keyboard etc, so we could have it be portable on an "as needed" basis, albeit for a little more money than the imac costs.
    I've also toyed with upgrading the RAM in the G4 b/c I really like the machine and sort of hate to give it up--but it is sloooww, has a totally shot battery and the screen insn't the brightest. I'm not even sure the RAM upgrade would make that much of a difference? Both of us are heavy but casual users (internet, word processing, watching movies etc) and while cost isn't the
    most important factor, I don't want to spend a fortune--the MacPro is too much for our needs, for example. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated.
  2. kentrox99 macrumors member

Jul 26, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I like the 2 macbooks and an external monitor setup. My girlfriend and I both have macbooks and I have an iMac. I sometimes think this might be overkill.
    Also keep in mind that you can still get decent money for your 2 old laptops,
    so the financial hit won't be as bad. I sold that same ibook on ebay a few months ago and got $700 for it.