Macbook instore upgrades

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CompUser, Jun 17, 2006.

1. CompUser Guest

Hi,

My sister is going to get a MacBook (possibly mbp) because she wants to switch.

Anyways, I was just wondering if they could upgrade the 60gb hard drive in the apple store or if we would have to order online to do so.

Thanks,
    Erik

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Not sure about the hard drive. I know for RAM they do it right there, so I imagine it's a good possibility? For a definite answer, call your local apple store:

http://www.apple.com/retail/

3. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I dont think they upgrade HD's but there is no harm in asking?

4. Acehigh macrumors 6502

If you do not want a base machine , buy it from Apple.com. Since You can upgrade ram in store but it will cost you more. One post said he paid $200 for 1GB Upgrade (total 1GB), they gave back the 512MB ram which was already inside.

Buy ram from another vendor and install it yourself. For HD you better off doing it online.

Good luck

5. CompUser thread starter Guest

Thanks everyone, I think I am just going to order it online.

I still l cannot believe what a value the MB is. A year and a half ago my computer was a little over 1800- 12" PB, 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 80gb HD, SD + 7 port USB hub, BT mouse, and printer

now my sister can get for roughly the same price
    13" MB, 2.0ghz core duo, 1gb, 80gb, SD, +4gb iPod nano+ printer + MS Office, + 7 port USB hub + flash drive + iPod Charger + iPod Case + computer case + Mouse

6. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Hahaha, that was me that made that post. BUY ON LINE PLEASE. I'm totally out that money now simply because the guy never told me it cost an extra 100 bucks to watch him do something I already knew how to do.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In the UK, the Apple Stores match the online price. If you remind them. If you don't, the RAM upgrade in the store may be more expensive.

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I posed that same question when in the Apple Store and the answer is that any different hard disk must be ordered online. The memory upgrade can be done on the premises while you wait or be available for a later pick-up.

9. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

heck you could allways be nice sibling and install your sisters ram and hd for her ;)

10. Emperor macrumors newbie

Emperor

I asked the same questoin to a staff in Apple Regent st store and the only part you can upgrade is RAM only but the rest can be configured online.