macbook insurance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rassac, Jan 25, 2007.

1. rassac macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i'm a newbie to mac living in the uk. my mac book just arrived yesterday and i was wondering if anyone out there would be able to recommend an insurance policy or insurance company for me.

thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd have thought contents insurance would cover it.

3. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

after shopping around for phone insurance i found this company, they also insure laptops.etc. at reasonable prices, i dont understand why people buy applecare when there are things like this avaliable. anyway they have a powerbook on their website which can only bring good omens and i plan on insuring my macbook pro whhttp://www.cusc.co.uken it arrives with them. email them if you have any questions they are very responsive.

4. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

As a side note, the best things you can do for your laptop are:

1. Get and always use a security cable:
    http://uk.kensington.com/html/11283.html

2. Go the the Security Preference Pane, and require a password when waking from screensaver/sleep.

3. Enable FileVault on your computer.

Those combined will help protect your computer from theft, and if it is stolen, keep your data secure.

Given the low cost of a MacBook, I do not find protection or insurance to be worth the money.

5. davlak macrumors newbie

MacBook Insurance

Check out Insure and Smile they do pretty good insurance for all makes of laptop. from the blurb on the site they cover accidental damage and theft - plus they guarantee to replace it in 48 hours if it is stolen.

I have also used the Immobilise website to register my MAC just in case it does get nicked.

6. MacMad100 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Insurance

I'm in the UK about to renew with http://www.compucover.co.uk/

Never had to claim, so can't say if any good - but they do insure to a value above £1,200 which a Macbook Pro is, and this feature alone seems relatively scarce from other insurance companies.

7. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I called my contents insurance company (Direct Line) on Saturday when I got my iPhone.

I was enquiring about whether it was covered as I have accidental damage cover.

They said it was covered in my home but for an extra £21 I could cover all my personal belongings (maximum individual item value of £5000) for an extra £21 until my renewal date which is April 2011.

So for £21 I have got 10 months accidental cover on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro outside of the home - I think you would struggle to get cover separately for just your MacBook for that price.

So I would definitely give your home contents insurance provider a call to see if they cover it, or how much it would cost to cover it.

They only thing doesn't give, of course, is Apple Care type insurance if it breaks.

HTH

- D