MacBook - Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coffeegonecold, Mar 19, 2007.

1. coffeegonecold macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2007
    A friend of mine offered to sell me his used MacBook that he bought about six months ago for $900, I'm wondering if that's a good deal or not. Specs are listed below.

Apple MacBook
    - Intel Core Duo Processor 1.83Ghz
    - 2GB RAM
    - 60GB Hard drive
    - Combo drive
    - OS X 10.4 Tiger
    - Power adapter
    - Remote control (unopened)
    - Original box
    - MacBook Disks
  2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    No It Is Not A Good Deal

Refurb store sells that model for $799 LIKE NEW with new warranty. Offer him $599 'cause it's used and no SuperDrive. Does it come with AppleCare?
  3. coffeegonecold thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply! Do you have a link to that refurb model? And no, I don't believe it comes with AppleCare.

This is my first foray into buying a Mac, so I'm totally clueless.
  4. kellen macrumors 68020

Aug 11, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Doesn't sound like that bad of a deal. I just bought the same model from the refurb store. I would say it depends on a couple of things. Do you live in a state that charges sales tax? If not, order from apple, as my total was around 860 after taxes and you get 6 extra months of warranty. Also did he buy applecare? If he did, jump on it. The applecare is 200, plus he put 2GB of ram in it, which is around 140 depending on the type.

While 900 seems good, especially with the ram upgrade, just depends on other things and the condition of the macbook. I would do it if he got applecare.
  5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    The only thing that one has over the refurb is the 2GB of RAM, and that's only worth about $130. Subtract half the warranty, and add 6 months of use, and I'd offer him no more than $700.
  6. coffeegonecold thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2007
    I live in Nebraska, so I'm stuck with paying 7% sales tax.

The laptop itself looks to be in great condition, I didn't notice any defects when I was looking at it.