MacBook Kernal Panics - Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Caitlyn, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Hey guys!
    So, for the past say...60 hours I've owned this computer (2 and half days) everything has been running smoothly. Today, I got my Omni Technologies 2GB RAM and installed them. All was well until about an hour ago. I had three kernal panics in a half hour. The third one was literally 5 minutes after I had just restarted from the second one. So, I was thinking it might be bad RAM. I switched back to the stock 512MB and things seem fine so far. However, it's only been about 20 minutes since I brought back the 512.

So, what do you think: bad RAM or is the problem somewhere else?

ANY input is helpful!
  2. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2006
    Bad RAM, definitely. Or *perhaps* one or both of them weren't quite seated properly. If you want to be sure, reinstall them, push them both down hard, and run MemTest a few times through.
  3. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Well, today, I continue to have no problem with the stock 512, so I am going to reinstalled the 2GB and see if I have a problem again. I heard good things about Omni Technologies; what's up? Maybe it's just a "lemon"...meaning one unit out of a hundreds that just happen to go bad.
  4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd install one of the sticks at a time, and see if you can find out which piece is bad from that. It's definitely the RAM least one of them.
  5. alnikopol macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2006
    Bad RAM. Install the modules one a the time, run memtest.
  6. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Alright, so I installed the first chip (making it 1.25GB). The test passed. I then put in the second chip (making it 1.25GB again). It passed. I then put the two chips together (making it 2GB) and it failed. So, what does this mean? The chips are defective, then, yes? Should I contact Omni Technologies? Would you reccomend getting a replacement or a complete refund and buying from someone else?

Thanks for all the help thus far.

EDIT: I've been using the machine for about 20 minutes and I have yet to have a kernal panic. We'll have to wait and see. Advice is helpful. :)
  7. MikeNemat macrumors regular

Aug 6, 2006
    From past experience building and fixing PCs for the last few years, this issue is known as dual-channel incompatibility.

Sometimes, certain memory combined with certain chipsets will not operate properly in a dual-channel configuration, but both sticks will still work fine when used individually.

On PCs, this can be solved with the same memory by setting the memory controller to Single-Channel in the BIOS, however this is not a practical solution on a PC (as it is slower) and is impossible on a mac, because this option is not accessible.

I have never heard of Omni Technologies before in my life (and I've installed hundreds of sticks of memory). I would suggest returning your 2GB omni technologies memory and purchasing some confirmed, manufacturer assured Macbook-compatbile memory.

Here are some 2GB (2x1GB) kits that are confirmed working by the manufacturer and by users on the macbook:

Here is some 1GB sticks that you can buy two of that will also work fine:

G-Skill (VERY GOOD PRICE!)

Corsair: Not yet avaliable but will be avaliable soon with the part number CMSS1GB-667SOD
  8. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Okay, so, my MacBook had another kernal panic yesterday, so I'm done. I'm calling Omni Technologies today and returning. I think I will be buying G.Skill or Patriot. Which would you reccomend over the other?
  9. beloved84 macrumors regular

Jun 1, 2006
    what do you mean by kernal panic?
  10. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
  11. iJem macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2006

I wish I'd seen this thread... well, I guess it would've made no difference as I only ordered 2 x 1GB Hyperformance RAM for my Intel iMac on 17th August.

I'm getting the same issue - running MacPAR deLuxe on a large par2 set seems to result in random kernel panics :mad:

These people claim to be Certified 100% compliant. They also claim to be a Registered Apple Developer. They also carry a lifetime instant replacement guarantee.

Only thing is I'm in the UK and ordered direct so now I have all the hassle of trying to ship the stuff back... if I can prove the fault. Not at all happy at the moment. :(