Macbook Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainKirk, Feb 28, 2007.

1. CaptainKirk macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2007
    So, a few days ago, my Macbook freaked out. I have only owned it for about 1 month.

I looked up the error on and it said that it is a kernel panic. It froze and said I needed to restart my computer. Now, it says this everytime I reboot and attempt to load Macbook. I've tried the following:
    • Going into safemode using shift
    • Resetting the PRAM with Option-Apple-P-R
    • Opening the Open Firmware with Option-Apple-O-F
    • Booting from the install disks. This boots to a light blue screen and goes no farther. (Apple sent me replacement DVDs, but they had the same problem.)

The only thing that has worked the way it is supposed to is the Hardware check from the install cds (which is run by holding 'D' while booting the DVD).

Also, I have a Windows Vista partition on this same computer with Boot Camp. It is still working just fine.

Any help that anyone can give would be very much appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a good way to get my data backed up without using Apple install disks, that would be helpful as well.
  2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Have you added any 3rd party RAM to it? If so, take it out and see what it does. If it does the same thing, put that stick back in and take out the Apple stick (the original one).
  3. bleachthru macrumors member

Nov 13, 2003
    If your macbook is only one month old, take it to an apple store and take advantage the warranty;) . Probably the easiest way to back up/recover your data would be to boot into target disk mode (hold down "T" at startup) and copy what you need onto another firewire mac. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  4. CaptainKirk thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2007
    Original Ram

I haven't changed the RAM around at all. It's the original 2 256 MB chips. (Yes, I plan to add more.) I will be taking it to a Mac store as soon as I can, but I currently need the laptop for school, so I'm using Windows Vista.