Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
Guys i am thinking about upgrading to a macbook but the keys look strange, they have to much of a gap. Are they good for touchtyping? As i am a touchtyper it is important for me to get the right computer with the right keys on it.

Any help?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I think a lot of people here like them.

I haven't tried them personally.

Your in London (I believe) - pop into the Apple Store and take a look (and feel) for yourself.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Go to an Apple Store or reseller and try out a MacBooks keyboard yourself. Thats the best way to find out whether you like it or not.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
i think its amazing... once you get used to it, it feels much nicer than typing on a normal keyboard... and friends who don't have a mb do comment on how nice it is when they use it...

but i think it is personal preference, so you should try one out!

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Meh, I hated the idea of starting typing on a laptop keyboard (my current iBook) and it took a week or so getting used to. Now I cannot live without flat clickety keys! It's a matter of getting used to it.

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
The actual key caps have the same amount of surface as that found on a 'normal' keyboard. The space between keycaps is also similar, but does away with the slope up to the actual keycap, and instead just has the space.

It took more getting used to the flatness of the keys themselves than the gap. The keys fall right where a touch typist expects them, just the flat keys take a couple days getting used to.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Personally, I adore the keyboard. I touch-type as well and going back to a regular big clicky keyboard slows me down considerably.

Keep in mind that the surface area of the keys is identical to a standard keyboard, it's just that the keys have straight sides rather than being much wider at the bottom, like usual. Unless you tend to type by sticking your fingers in between the keys, it should work fine.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
josh.thomas said:
Your in London (I believe) - pop into the Apple Store and take a look (and feel) for yourself.

Turns out he's from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse, and not from Guildford after all.

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
OK thanks i will try one out in the apple store

'Turns out he's from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse, and not from Guildford after all.'

hey gloss i am from Guildford (outer london), get it right!

Thanks

R.R.Mac

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
It was just fine for me...

Any serious computer user or someone who has used computers for more than 2 years will be a touch typist... which means most people so I really REALLY doubt Apple made an unfriendly touch typing keyboard.

I do however, like my MacBook Pro keyboard more.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
gloss said:
Turns out he's from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse, and not from Guildford after all.

Believe it or not, some people get Macs when away on Business and then bring them back home. Or the OP could live away from Home, so there might not have been an Apple Store there.

Notice how your reply was the only one in the whole thread that was pointless and unhelpful?

I'm so glad there's unhelpful people like yourself on MR.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
generik said:
Nope, I tried those and they are horrid for touch typing, the gap is just plain annoying.

I agree with the gap. Although I still hit the keys, the feel is just... different. I tried the keyboard out at my university's computer store, and although I can type at my normal speed, it's not as comfortable for me as when I'm on my PB.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
josh.thomas said:
Believe it or not, some people get Macs when away on Business and then bring them back home. Or the OP could live away from Home, so there might not have been an Apple Store there.

Notice how your reply was the only one in the whole thread that was pointless and unhelpful?

I'm so glad there's unhelpful people like yourself on MR.

If you read carefully you'd notice that I posted a helpful reply immediately preceding the post that you decided to quote. I'm so glad there's judgemental people like yourself on MR.

Also, it was a Hitchhiker's Guide reference. I figured anyone trawling a Mac board would be able to appreciate that. :D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
skipsandwichdx said:
Don't listen to generik, the keys are fine. Easier to touch type on this than on the MBP, imo.

That's your opinion, perhaps you should leave it to the OP to judge for himself instead.

Oh, and by the way I am more of a touch typer than you are.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I don't really like the keyboard, but it's not terrible. The iBook/PB/MBP one is better.

amycishere

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
I absolutely love mine. I was very nervous as I live very far from an apple store and I bought a customized macbook. I especially love it with the iskin keyboard cover, they are so soft. Granted, I am a one finger typer because of my disability but I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.