MacBook leaking? Ughhh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timswim78, Jan 12, 2007.

1. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I just opened my brand new Macbook (white, 2ghz, superdrive). When I took it out of the protective wrapping, I noticed that there were some drops of clear liquid on the bottom of it. I smelled the drops, and they definitely have a "chemical" smell. It looks like the drops may have originated at the battery.

I plan to call Apple tomorrow and ask about this (Their support just closed). In the meantime, has anyone else experienced such a problem?

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

No, I have never heard of, or experienced, the water/liquid. Have you turned the Macbook, and where there any issues?

3. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Perhaps somenoe at the factory spent some time, you know, showing the MacBook a "good time."

4. AlexGFX88 macrumors member

..... That was lovely.

5. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I thought it was clever ;)

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

LOL

I would take out the battery and check it out. If nothing appears to be on it/leaking from it, you might be fine. Have you tried turning on the computer?

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Post of the year for sure. I have been laughing for 30 minutes.

8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Very weird, i would call Apple if i were you... ;)

9. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

well they do say that apple products are really sexy

10. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I don't want to turn it on, because it has a nasty odor. Definitely smells like a harmful chemical.

11. XP Defector macrumors 6502

You should be careful, don't touch it. Phone Apple.

It could be anything, I know that notebooks can contain harmful chemicals.

12. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I called Apple. They said not to use it, touch it, etc. They said that the store that I bought it from would issue me a replacement. However, I bought it in a another state, and that store has no branches within 700 miles of me. To further complicate matters, the store no longer carries MacBooks.

I asked the Apple guy if I could just take the case number and get a replacement at my local Apple store. He said no, I would have to go back to the original retailer.

This is kind of frustrating. I wish that I could just drive ten miles and walk out of the Apple store with a new laptop.

13. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Update. I've got a genius appointment this evening. Hopefully, it gets resolved tonight.

14. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Excellent, let us know how your appointment/date goes.

Let's just hope the genius doesn't ask that the problem be replicated in the store--at least not the way it sounded when first described above!

15. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I went to the store and everything went fine. I ended up paying them $150 to upgrade the Blackbook, which had more RAM and a bigger hard drive.

The genius tried to be helpful but didn't seem to have any decision making authority, so he brought in the manager.

The manager started sticking his finger in the ooze (by accident), and I mentioned that it might not be a good idea to do that. He agreed and washed his hands.

After the whole ordeal, I decided just to try to sell the Blackbook. (The thread is in the FS/FT forum). I plan on just getting a MBP or another mini in the coming months.

16. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Thanks for letting us know. I love my Black MacBook though.

17. whitneysc macrumors newbie

MacBook Leaking

My daughter's MacBook is leaking an oily liquid from the battery lock. We noticed because she has a colored plastic cover and the liquid was more apparent within the shell. When I took it to the store, they said they couldn't figure out what is was as there is nothing in the computer like that and it must have been a spill. However, when I pointed out that it was oily and only seeping from the lock (not soda, or coffee that had been spilled into the keyboard or case cover) they were stumped. They basically said that they had no idea since the system was still functional. I addressed that the thermal compound between the CPU and the heat sink is silicone and when overheated will melt into an oily liquid and a residue. Their response was that the system would fry if it got that hot and be inoperable. I'm now dealing with another Mac Genius who says there has been several service tickets regarding "leaks" and he's researching the issue for me. I'll keep you posted.

18. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Yes please do keep us updated, very interesting topic

19. Fezzasus macrumors regular

Silicon has a melting point of 1400K. It's not the silicon.

It's also not the battery as liquid lithium would be noticeable (death and fire ect) as well as incredibly unlikely.

I would suggest that the liquid comes from the production of the laptop, probably unremoved solvent from the application of the waterproofing of the logic board.

20. sowillo14 macrumors regular

Same hear!!:D

21. MicBook macrumors regular

I hope it is not pregnant

22. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

What would the result be? A 6 inch "MacBook mini"?

23. whitneysc macrumors newbie

MacBook Leaking

In my research the failure point of the Thermal Compound is 380-425F which is within the possibility of an over heating CPU.

24. Tom McMahon macrumors member

"In my research the failure point of the Thermal Compound is 380-425F which is within the possibility of an over heating CPU"

I don't know where to even begin with this....

First and formost, at 380F your CPU isn't over heated, its fried, as in crispy dead. IIRC 380F is almost DOUBLE what Intel claims to be the thermal limit for the C2D.

Second, at 380F the plastic case would be a soft melted blob of plastic goo.

So while the thermal compound has a failure point around 400F, the rest of your daughter's computer has a thermal failure point WAY lower.

A big 2nd to what Fezzasus said.

25. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Solid silicon, yes. Various pastes, sealants and other stuff that incorporates silicon, like the 'silicone sealant' around your bathtub, have different properties. Because more people are familiar with rubbery and squishy things called 'silicone', it's common to think of those first.

I'm reasonably confident that the OP wasn't saying it was the substrate of their chips that was causing the liquid.