MacBook line-in playthrough? yes or no? argh.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blitzydog, Sep 6, 2006.

1. blitzydog macrumors member

Apr 23, 2006
    I've got some synths connected to a mixer, which I've got going into my Mac's line in. It hears it fine, and I can record what's coming in via a wave recorder, but I want to be able to HEAR what is coming in too. I mean like, have it playthrough the computer and right to the speakers. Any ideas?

P.s. I went to Audio Midi Setup and the Playthrough button in not check-able.
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Okay, so you don't have hardware playthough. Does your recording package support software playthrough? Some do. This will introduce a slight delay, which can be both helpful and super annoying. If not, is thre a spot where you can plug something in before it goes into the Mac?
  3. Makkie macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2006
    The solution might be to make a new "device" with combined in- and output:

1. open Audio Midi Setup and make sure the "Audio Device" tab is active
    2. select in Audio menu: Open Aggregate Device Editor
    3. click on the + box to add a device
    4. double click on the device name to rename (e.g. "Playthrough")
    5. click the "use" boxes of the Audio Devices you want to use. In your case that's probably Built-in Input and Built-in Output
    6. click on Done
    Now you should be able to select your new Device in the Default Input and Output fields.

Hope that works.
  4. .sTe. macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2009
  5. sellhouseguy macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2009
    How about into (and out of) iTunes?

Any way to get iTunes to see the line in signal so I can stream the music to speakers in other rooms (connected through AirTunes routers)?

I have been wrestling with this problem for a while and cannot figure out a way to do it. Thank in advance for any help/thoughts!
  6. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2009

Paid application, but it works to stream media from any source to AirPort Speakers.