MacBook & Linksys issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skenderes, Apr 1, 2007.

1. skenderes macrumors newbie

I'll start by describing my set up. I've got a DSL connection connected to a Linksys wireless G router. I have wired lines running to a windows pc and up to my room to my macbook (if I feel I need a wired connection). There is also a window's laptop and a mac mini on the network. Along with a nintendo wii PS3 and two Tivos. All connect nicely to the Mac Address protected wireless network. As soon as I begin using Airport on my laptop however, give it about 10 minutes and the connection drops. Not just for the mb but for the entire house. I'm completely clueless why only when my macbook connects the connection drops.

I appreciate any thoughts or input you might be able to send my way. If you have any questions please let me know.

2. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Have you tried interference robustness?

I have also noted in the past that poor or failing WiFi routers can have the issues you describe so you may want to keep that in mind.

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

often having several electrical components near the airport or any wireless router for that matter will cause interference. try moving it apart from the other items.

4. dailo macrumors regular

Ive always had problems with linksys routers and macs. For some reason I can only connect to my Linksys router by using internet connect and manually typing the SSID and password and selecting the type of security. If I don't do either one of these my connection just hangs and will not work.

As for the drop out issues I have this with my Linksys with the DD-WRT firmware and I'm not sure if its a setting or something on my router, but my connection always drops out when I am inactive. I just leave a terminal window open and ping my router when I am not using my connection and my wireless conneciton will always stay alive. I have not figured out why this is the case yet.