MacBook Longevity How Long Do they Last?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wicked1, Feb 27, 2011.

1. macrumors 68040

Apr 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have a 2009 uMB just before they switched the 13" to a Pro, I did not buy Applecare so just wondering how long they normally last, only because I was thinking of selling it and getting one of the 2010 Refurb models so I can also get a 13" with the FW800 ports?

If they usually last 3+ years, I might keep it, however I am only looking for an estimate, I know there is no way to predict how long this thing will last me.
  2. macrumors member

May 24, 2010
    being that everyone on here has had it the same amount of time as you, everyone would know the same thing that u do, however i had an ibook g4 that lasted 6 years, and my school has i books and macbooks anywhere from 1-7 years old that are fine and are used everyday vigorously by students.
  3. macrumors demi-god

Apr 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    MacBooks will outlast your desires to upgrade.
  4. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Oct 14, 2010
    about 6 years or until you just have to have a new one ... truth is these things just keep working
  5. macrumors 6502

Dec 7, 2010
    Somewhere in Southeast Asia
    Macbook for wife, nice trade?

Thinking about getting a Macbook for my wife. We're selling her VAIO netbook, I think it's a piece, I don't like the screen, very dull compared to my MBP, and her trackpad isn't nearly as nice as the glass pad on m MBP.

I know the new MBP's just came out, but is there any main disadvantage to the MP instead of the MBP? Other than the firewire, and graphics, both of which I don't think she'd ever use. Further, should we assume a MB update is just around the corner since they just refreshed the MBP line? Might I wait a month or two and get a new model MB for her?
  6. macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Apr 23, 2006
    Sold a 7 year old 15" PowerBook a few months ago. It was working perfectly despite having survived a soaking of Orange Juice spilled in a backpack years previously.
    The only "bad" thing about it was the battery, lasting only about 30-40 minutes on a full charge.
  7. macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Los Angeles Area
    they last a long time. People only get rid of them just to upgrade to a newer machine.
  8. macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    As long as you take good care of it, most machines will technically last indefinitely.
    That of course excludes the wear on the battery.
  9. macrumors regular

I know that you want info pertaining to the unibodies but maybe this will help. I bought the White rev. 4,1 in early '08 and other than needing to add RAM because of the increase in work load intensity on my part, ie. overloading the laptop for what it was designed for, it has worked flawlessly. I have only had one thing go wrong and that was the Superdrive but that is absolutely relatable since the machine is on 3+ years with constant use of DVD's. I loved the thing. Just make sure to get you a good sized external monitor with it and you will be happy. For me, I just couldn't stand the small screen anymore.