MacBook, MacBook Pro To See Merom Upgrade Next Month?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. macrumors bot

    MacRumors

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2001
    #1
    [​IMG]

    Reghardware claims cites a Chinese language report that Apple is readying both of its laptop models for Core 2 Duo "Merom" CPU's, due next month. There had been some Page 2 rumors that Apple would update the MacBook pro to include Merom at WWDC which failed to materialize, but this is the first report that has indicated that Apple would also move its more consumer-oriented laptop model to Core 2 Duo that quickly. AppleInsider has previously suggested that the MacBook would remain a Core Duo "Yonah" CPU for the time being.

    While no hard insider information exists pointing to the specs of the new machines, currently Merom tops out at 2.33 GHz, so it is not unreasonable to believe that Apple will use the 2.33 GHz chip in its MacBook Pro, and slightly slower speeds in its MacBooks. Also of note, Merom being a Core 2 Duo chip has architectural advances over Core Duo ("Yonah") such as 64-bit support and a 4 MB L2 Cache in higher end models.
     
  2. Editor emeritus

    longofest

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2003
    Location:
    Falls Church, VA
  3. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    #3
    Why would they give the Macbook that but leave the iMac with the original Core Duo? Doesn't make sense. I would think all three would get it or just the Macbook Pro.
     
  4. macrumors 65816

    Unorthodox

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    Location:
    Not at the beach...
    #4
    Booooooo! Boooooo! :mad:
    I want my MBP now! :mad:
    Next month! :mad:

    So does that mean MacWorld Paris?

    Actually I think they should keep the mini and MB with the older processors; but lower the price.
    Remember the Pro in MacBook Pro stands for PRO! So it should be better.


    I need coffeeeeee......
     
  5. macrumors 65816

    jholzner

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    Champaign, IL
    #5
    This is good news for future Macbook owners. I'm interested in when the iMac will get Conroe. A friend of mine is switching from Windows and wants the iMac but is waiting for Conroe in the iMac. I only hope they go with the desktop processor in the iMac and not Merom since he's not interested in the mobile processor in his desktop.

    Well, hopefully the iMac will be updated sooner than the portables. Conroe is out and available in quantities now where as Merom won't be as available in quantities until the end of this month.
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #6
    next tuesday

    its always next tuesday isnt it?

    here is to getting up early on tuesday morning, dragging my ass to the computer, and going to store.apple.com to be disappointed by the lack of the promise to be back within the hour.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    SheriffParker

    Joined:
    May 24, 2006
    Location:
    The land of love
    #7
    It would be cool for them to keep the yonah in the low-end MacBook. That way with the price drop they could get back to a $999 entry-level notebook.

    Merom definitely in the Black Macbook though, if this is true.

    Great News! Still hoping for a case redesign in the MBP for mine. :)
     
  8. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    #8
    This is probably because merom is aimed at mainly at laptops, however there's no reason by they shouldn't put it in an iMac.

    I'm not one to believe all the rumours, however I really hope this one is true. Although i'm not holding my breath.
     
  9. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2003
    Location:
    Mexico
    #9
    I hope next month means the first 10 days of september, I'll be in NYC and I want to buy a lot of things besides a new MBP!!

    Because if they were preparing the MBP for the WWDC, it means they're almost ready, don't you think? Ready in terms of volume.
     
  10. macrumors regular

    SteveRichardson

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
  11. macrumors 65816

    jholzner

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    Champaign, IL
    #11
    I hope so. At least then one could justify the price difference!
     
  12. macrumors 68020

    Willis

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    #12
    It sure does. Quite exciting really. I think all consumer products will get Core 2 Duo (merom + conroe) in September. Although, seeing as Merom is socket compatable with the current line up, I dont think we will see a Conroe in the iMac.
     
  13. macrumors 65816

    jholzner

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    Champaign, IL
    #13
    I tend to agree that they may use Merom in the iMac but since they put Woodcrest in the Mac Pros it gives me hope that they won't use Merom in the iMac and just use it in the portable line where they really belong.
     
  14. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2003
    Location:
    United States
    #14
    I'm pretty sure Conroe has no performance gains over Merom. Why is your friend opposed to Merom in a desktop? Merom is supposed to run cooler correct?
     
  15. macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #15
    Conroe has a much faster FSB, more cache, and ramps up much faster in clock speed.

    Merom and Yonah are replacements for Pentium-M. While Conroe is the replacement for the Pentium D. Conroe runs much hotter but not as hot as the old G5's. 45 C at full load for Conroe and 75 C for the 970FX.

    And if you're worried about wattage...

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-shootout_11.html
     
  16. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Upstate/Central NY
    #16
    Damn, and I just got my new MacBook yesterday

    oh well, I caught the last round of iBook updates last year, and that left me on the bleeding edge for several months. I'll see what it looks like in second place for a while.

    Plus if my MacBook gets lonely and depressed he can talk to my 1st gen PowerMac G5

    (God I need more RAM for the MacBook)

    Shasta
     
  17. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #17
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it was my understanding that Yonah and Merom were being priced identically (at same clock speed) by Intel.
     
  18. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2006
    #18
    Crap! My MacBook should be here on Monday. Is there anyway to return an online order?
     
  19. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    #19
    Yes, but after the Merom release the prices of Yonah will be cheaper.
     
  20. macrumors 68000

    spicyapple

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #20
    Quad Xeons in the MacBook Pro, pretty please. After all, it is Apple's professional notebook line.
     
  21. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #21
    It seems to me that waiting until Paris might be too long. Plus, Merom is just marginally better than Yonah so that's not much of a show for a Keynote, unless there is a enclosure redesign....:D . Well, Conroe in iMacs would be something to show since it is considerably faster than Yonah.

    If no redesign, I see it being released...umm...Next Tuesday.

    This would leave Paris open for new iPods
     
  22. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2002
    Location:
    Spain
    #22
    No way in Macbook

    Makes no sense to put these in Macbook so soon. Macbook Pro, yes, but not the macbook. Apple have always differentiated the two lines, the fact that current Macbooks are comparable to the Pros is just plain luck and won't last long, IMO.
     
  23. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #23

    But Merom has already been released. I guess you mean released in computers to consumers?

    That makes sense, I would expect Intel to sell Merom for more (more $$ for them) unless they are trying to cut back production of Yonah.
     
  24. macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #24
    If they do a revision, then its safe to say we won't see another update till santa rosa chipsets ship next spring alongside leopard. Which means "next month" is a good time to buy a MBP at least for a while.

    This also suggest new ipods this fall (for christmas), conroe iMacs at the paris expo, iPhone as well as iLife/iWork updates and maybe Leopard shipping at MWSF....we all know steve likes beating deadlines meaning Leopard would definately ship before spring, unless he really wants vista out first before showing his cards to avoid photocopying.
     
  25. macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    Location:
    Dallas-ish
    #25
    Why would they keep a 32-bit processor in the macbook when they're pushing 64-bit with Lepoard?
     

Share This Page