Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Hi, I need a more powerful machine for my hobbies.
I've decided I cannot afford (and have no need for) a mac pro, and that a mac mini would probably not be powerful enough

I currently own a 12 inch ibook G4 (1.33GHz with a GB of ram), and need something more for photography. I want to run lightroom or aperture, photoshop etc. on the mac I end up getting.

However, recently I've been considering taking up music, as I love it as well, and video too (I just can't decide, can I:p )

I wanted a laptop with an external display for working on my desk so that leaves me with either a macbook or a macbook pro:

I was thinking macbook, but I don't know if this would be powerful enough to run what I want it to run, and I'd get dissapointed fast and want to buy ANOTHER computer (and I don't have too much change to spare, definetely on a budget)

The MBP may seeem to have the specs I want, and be able to run what I want it to run, but it is very very expensive, and the battery life is not all that impressive.

Since i already own the ibook, i could buy an imac, and that would be the power of the MBP if not more, for a lot less, assuming I go for a 20 inch, or even a 24 if I felt crazy. I don't know how much of a pain it would be to have two computers though, even though the ibook would only be for day to day activities, and I could use the imac for the heavy duty stuff. I was thinking this would be nice, since a MBP would be much less portable then my little iBook. I can't really think i would ever need to take my work on the road, and I certainly wouldn't be recording in my kitchen, or on my couch, and could use power for low cost, so maybe the imac is the best solution.

So, I'm guessing imac with my budget? I'm going to have to save for it, but I want to know what you think. Would a macbook be enough, or should I go with a desktop to avoid obselecence? The imac is upgradeable as far as graphics is concerned correct (assuming I bought it with a dedicated GPU and not integrated graphics)

Thanks for your help in advance

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Get the iMac - price versus function wise it is a great buy. Graphics and screen (24"!) are better than you can get with a laptop, and since you have the ibook, you already have some portability.

:apple:

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Get the iMac - price versus function wise it is a great buy. Graphics and screen (24"!) are better than you can get with a laptop, and since you have the ibook, you already have some portability.

:apple:

Well I can't quite afford the 24 inch, so i'm going to go with teh 20, witha 2.16 ghz processor, 2 gb of ram, and the jury is still out on the graphics card

would it be in my best interest to go with 256mb of vram instead of 128? at only 60 dollars, this is a steal, right.

the 24 inch is a bad idea unless i get it even mroe expensive as teh nvidia 7300GT is not on the recommended list for aperture, but both graphics cards availabe for the 20 inch are. I would have to go for the 7600GT, and after a 24 inch upgrade, I couldn't afford that. Plus, otherwise I would be settling for less vram, and I odn't think that's a good idea for Aperture performance. I think performance would be better than a larger display, though it would be nice. I could always get an external display to run alongside the imac...

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
nvm about the graphics cards, as this will most definitely change by the time i save up for the machine.

I don't think I'll be able to afford the 24 inch. It might be like 20 inch vs 24 inch and waiting an extra year. However, I'll have that screen as long as I have the computer, so I should definitely try to get what I want.

I've used the 24 (my friend has one), and It is absolutely amazing.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Is this stuff all hobby? Or are you trying to be a pro?

If hobby, the 20 should be fine. If pro, I think that extra resolution would be huge in photo work. Actually, it would be for a hobbiest, too, but money talks.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
i'm only in hs, so pro,not in the near future
the 20 inch resolution should be fine
if i had the money, the 24 would be great though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.