1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Macbook media center.....

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CrAkD, May 10, 2010.

1. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

So I was thinking about saving up for a mini to replace my appletv. Howeve I have a MacBook core duo 2ghz with 2gb of ram just laying around. I know the g4 mini isn't worth it cause no remote and underpowered. The MacBook accepts remote and has a bit more horsepower. Was thinking of updating the hard drive to a 7200rpm drive. If i did would this be doable?

I just bought the minidvi to VGA adapter gonna hook it up tonight I think. Anything I'm missing here?

2. macrumors 6502a

reebzor

That macbook has a GMA950. It MIGHT be ok for a mediacenter. Just something to play around with, it'll be fine. The 802.11g also limits you unless you plan on having it wired. I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent solution, but if you want to use it until you save up enough for a 9400m Mini, then it will work.

3. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

My ent center is all wired so that's not an issue. I was wondering how the graphics are on the MacBook? Decent enough for a mame emulator for old arcade games?

4. macrumors 65816

AppleNewton

it should be fine for a media center.
    depends on your content. it may have a bit of it if its all Blu-ray rip quality but i havent noticed much issues with various mac-based computers as entertainment setups.
    I had a PowerMac G5 as one for a while that worked fine, used a MacBook late2008 unibody that was perfect and i currently use my 13" MBP mid-09 as one.

I havent had any issues with playback or functionality. up the ram to as much as it can support and you should be fine as those macbooks i imagine have integrated graphics and dont have much vram to use from.

the plus side of having a macbook or macbookpro media center set up is its easier to fit into the set up, and you also have a portable media center too which is what i use mine for. (dock it at home to the entertainment setup and take it with me on the go).

5. macrumors 6502a

The only problem with that setup would be the VGA adaptor - any with HDCP protection won't play. This will be a problem mostly if you have HD videos from the iTunes store.

6. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

i probably wont play anything HD. Ive yet to play anything HD on my apple tv. I have a netflix subscription so I get most of my hd content from blurays from them or fios.

7. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

I haven't hooked it to the tv yet but I got mame working paired with 2 wireless ps3 controllers. Works great! was playing mortal kombat and killer instinct last night! Lol I wanna try and pickup a new hard drive this weekend and get that in before hooking it to the tv.

8. macrumors member

I have a 2007 Mac Mini 2Ghz C2D with the same Intel GMA 950 running Plex and it works really well as htpc. 720 and 1080 content plays fine. I think it's running a little hot, but I just put it to sleep when not in use.