Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blitzydog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Well, my MacBook, like many others, moos. It's not unbearable, but definitely noticable. Other than that, it's a pretty solid laptop... but I really wish it didn't moo. Does anyone know what actually causes the noise, and if there is a fix? It sounds like maybe the fan is hitting something as it spins?

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
blitzydog said:
Well, my MacBook, like many others, moos. It's not unbearable, but definitely noticable. Other than that, it's a pretty solid laptop... but I really wish it didn't moo. Does anyone know what actually causes the noise, and if there is a fix? It sounds like maybe the fan is hitting something as it spins?

Doubt there's any fix for the time being, If it gets any worse talk to Apple about it.....

Also a Firmware update will probably be released soon making the MB's more heat efficient,

ShadOW

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
My MacBook "mooed" once for 1.5 seconds. It sounded like the HDD, but I was also working heavy stuff in iMovie HD... I have no clue, because it only happened once for not much more than a sec, but I don't think it is either the fan or CPU, perhaps the HDD.

rhg247

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2004
VA
I just got my macbook (White 2ghz/1GB/80GB) yesterday and while i was in my office (aka the server closet) I thought I was golden with its beautiful screen, and no mooing / whine. BUT turns out that it was just too noisy to hear it. Last night on the sofa I could totally hear it "moo". I used to think all you people had gone mad :p How could a comptuer "moo"? Well this one does. And I think it's the fans...it sounds like they spin up to a really low rpm, then down again, then up, then down, then up....etc. The heat doesn't really bother me that much, as it's not getting that much hotter than my ibook g4. BUT if apple could release a firmware update to tweak the fans / moo for us macbook people, I'd be super duper happy. So who do we ask nicely to get that firmware update too? :)

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
rhg247 said:
... And I think it's the fans...it sounds like they spin up to a really low rpm, then down again, then up, then down, then up....etc. ...

This is exactly what it is...and it is normal...

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
This "issue," more than anything, is what bothers me. I have very sensitive hearing (I went through THREE backplanes on the Rev A. G5 iMac) and this could well bug me so much as to ruin the enjoyment of a new laptop.

I guess there's something said for "ignorance is bliss," because now everyone is listening for the "moo"-ing...and finding it! :)

dialo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
mmmcheese said:
...and it is normal...
No it's not.

Personally, I've found this to be really annoying. After going through a couple MacBooks this week, I've found that it's worse on some than on others. Some MacBooks have fans that make no sound except the rushing air, some make a slight hum when they are spinning, amplifying the noise of the fan spinning up and down.

Slilock

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2005
Spokane, WA
I've had my 17" MacBook Pro for four days and it has not made any of the sounds that other users are describing. Also it runs a little cooler than my 1.5GHz 15" Powerbook did.

dialo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
wickedG35 said:
Is there a sound link to what the "moo" sounds like on the MacBook's? I'd like to hear...
It just sounds like the fan going on and off. On some it just sounds like air blowing at about 2 sec intervals, on others there is an associated hum.

Most people report that it only happens when the temp is about 67 degrees C.

Personally, I find it really annoying.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I saw a post about an exhaust vent on the Macbook (underneath the screen hinge) being covered with some plastic that was not removed at the factory. I wonder if this might have any relation to the "mooing" sound? Has anybody here looked and do they still have the plastic strip over the vent?

neomancer

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2006
Macs don't "moo" they "moof"

Sorry guys but macs don't "moo" they "moof" ;) (At least thats what Clarus the dogcow says) :D

dialo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
danny_w said:
I saw a post about an exhaust vent on the Macbook (underneath the screen hinge) being covered with some plastic that was not removed at the factory. I wonder if this might have any relation to the "mooing" sound?
It doesn't. This happens a certain temp, which means it has something to do with when the fan is programmed to go on.
Has anybody here looked and do they still have the plastic strip over the vent?
I didn't have it on any the MacBooks I had and returned.

wanax27

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2006
Alexandria, Va.
'Moo'struck

Here, here. Yes my Black MacBook will moo from time to time. Really thinking about returning it for a later edish that may not have this issue. I have a 14 day-window to do so. CompUSA's rules. Wish I bought from the Apple Store in Pentagon City.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
It is my gut feeling that Apple is working on the issues of mooing and overheating right now, but they are doing so in complete secrecy, so as to never admitting to having a problem in the first place. I also believe that we will never know when the 'perfect' MacBook finally rolls off the assembly line. :)

blitzydog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
I think there is maybe two fans.. One is fine.. constant, smooth.. The other moos. Here's the thing...

Lets say RPM was on a scale from 1-10. When it moos, it goes from say, 1 to 5 to 1. When he gets to 2, on the way BACK, it doesn't make noise. So does this mean it may be the motor? Or is it the fan hitting something? I'd reallly love to know. When it's at, say, 10, it hums.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the fan is not hitting anything.

it isnt the motor's fault either, it is really the fan itself. when you turn on any fan, you hear a sound right? because these motors are small, with small blades, to push enough airand cool something, it needs to spin alot faster than say a ceiling fan. so once it stops, it wont make anymore noise. if you turn it off and on, it becomes a "mooing" noise. If it was on constantly, you would hear the "whining" noise.

I dont think there is any way to fix the problem because it really needs a bigger fan than the one it has. Right now it looks like it has a GPU heatsink fan on it to cool the GPU and CPU

Rovman

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
United Kingdom
Looking at the video the Fan comes on at 67c. WIth the temperature on some macbooks at the high end, they are obviously hovering right on 67c thus the fan comes on for a second, but in that time drops the temp to 66, which then turns the fan off, and pretty much just after the fans goes on, the temp hits 67+ again so its a never ending cycle.

These cycles can't really be good for the Fans though can they? i know they are designed for a few hundred thousand on/off cycles, but every 2 seconds is gonna build up pretty quickly..

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
blitzydog said:

You must get your ears examined, they are working much too well. Or maybe there is a cow outside the window.

What you hear is the sound of the cooling fan being turned on and accelerating, and turning off when the MacBook is cool enough again. The fix? Don't use your MacBook. Use it only very gently inside a walk-in freezer so the fan is never used, or alternatively use it as hard as possible so the fan runs at full speed all the time.

Did you notice the strange noises that your car makes when you drive? They are called "engine running", "wheels rolling over the ground", and "air passing your car at high speed". Ask your car manufacturer to fix those noises.

dialo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
gnasher729 said:
What you hear is the sound of the cooling fan being turned on and accelerating, and turning off when the MacBook is cool enough again.
It is not this simple. The fact is that the fan turns on at a high speed, that's why it's so audible, and then it shuts off at regular intervals. It's not simply a matter of it cooling it off and then hitting that point again because there is no variation in duration. Also, when it turns on at this 67 degree threshold it's running at a higher speed than it does when it's running steadily at higher temps which is why it's clearly audible.

Most importantly, environment and volume of the specific fan. I've had multiple MacBooks and while some have fans that simply make the sound of rushing air, others make a humming noise that makes the fan much more audible.

iKat

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
Alexandria
gnasher729 said:
You must get your ears examined, they are working much too well. Or maybe there is a cow outside the window.

What you hear is the sound of the cooling fan being turned on and accelerating, and turning off when the MacBook is cool enough again. The fix? Don't use your MacBook. Use it only very gently inside a walk-in freezer so the fan is never used, or alternatively use it as hard as possible so the fan runs at full speed all the time.

Did you notice the strange noises that your car makes when you drive? They are called "engine running", "wheels rolling over the ground", and "air passing your car at high speed". Ask your car manufacturer to fix those noises.

Bingo.

hallaisen

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
gnasher729 said:

this post pissed me off. I just got home from my university, and I'm so annoyed at my Macbook I don't know how to describe it. The fan starts, stops, then starts again after 2 seconds...ALL THE TIME.....it's HORRIBLY ANNOYING, and pissed off both me and my friend who I was working with, even when I placed the mac on another table a meter or two away... It was not running any big programs at all...only a small torrent program, nothing more....so please don't use that condescending tone when some of us have more than a thousand bucks on a computer that has major errors...

my macbook has the whine sound as well, and my battery isn't working. I have to have the charger inserted if I want to use it. If I take it out it says "no battery detected" or something like that, and shuts down after 2 seconds...then, when I come to try and find a fix for the problems I read this post, which only adds fuel to my rage...Apple's quality control imust be HORRIBLE..it seems like you should consider yourself lucky if you get a machine that's working properly...I'm taking this one back as soon as I can, cause I'm certainly fed up....and if you're right, and this is the way the Macbook is supposed to run, then I'll never lay my hands on a Mac again...I'm very disappointed with this machine, which is my 1st mac ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.