Macbook = Not as Good, Macbook Pro = Good

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Veritas&Equitas, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

After switching to Macs about 2 years ago, I fell in love with my Powerbook. It was the most sexy piece of equipment I had ever owned; I felt a connection on a level that connections should not be felt.

After the new Macbooks came out, I had to have one. They were so small, so cute, and powerful. So, I traded my 1.5 ghz/1.5 gb/80 gb 15'' Powerbook about 2 months ago straight up for a 1.83 ghz/2 gb/80 gb Macbook with an external LaCie DVD burner. I then maxed out the Macbook by installing a 160 gb hard drive. The Macbook has worked just fine, not given me any trouble.

That being said, after 2 months, I have to go back to the aluminum. Hence, I bought a 15'' Macbook Pro 2.16 ghz/2 gb/100 gb/256 vram for a great price ($1,425 shipped), and plan on selling my Macbook. I guess this thread is more a surmising about how cheap and chintzy the Macbook's feel. They just don't feel...I don't know...Appleish. They seem cheap. I guess part of the reason I feel this way is because I've always thought the iBooks looked like and felt like terrible machines. Hopefully it may help someone out who is considering one. After getting used to the backlit keyboard, higher resolution, and overall aesthetics of the Powerbook/Macbook Pro, it's impossible to be happy with a Macbook. At least, that's my opinion. I'm presently waiting to for the wonders that are the Macbook Pro to arrive at my doorstep...so I can kick my Macbook to the curb.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

iBook/Macbook user?

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Y'know I almost agree.

I had two 12" powerbooks and sold one to get a macbook in black. It's wicked fast and looks amazing but it's not quite as nice as having an aluminium computer. Then again, the 15" powerbook/mbp were always too big so I didn't have much of aa choice really.

If the 12"/13" mbp comes out I might be tempted to change again. Thing is when's that coming? A month at the earliest and then there's the Rev A issue....

5. mccldwll macrumors 65816

The refurb store mbp is very tempting. How much of an issue is the heat with the cd compared to the c2d?

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The later revision logic boards fixed all that, so they are not too bad actually.

7. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Whatever is right. Everyone has different tastes. It's the $$$ and size of the MBP that turns me off.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I think we can all agree that, given unlimited money, one would buy a MBP (or seven). But is there something about the MB that is something other than being less computer for less money?

I've used an iBook at work, and while I prefer my iMac for everyday use, it's always struck me as perfectly capable and in a really small package.

9. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

your face = manure
    ugh dissing my precious like that. :mad:

10. capone2 macrumors regular

the bottom line is this

no other 15" or 17" laptop on the market to date feels like, looks like the PB/MBP period!

price was 2- much for the PB but not now!

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I completely disagree. The size of the mbp put me off (as well as the latch, the poor airport in metal, and hard to replace hd), the price had nowt to do with it.

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The Macbook is really the right size for a laptop computer IMO. If not for the fact that it has a glossy screen and no GPU.

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yeah, though coming from the 12" powerbook even the macbook feels big.

The glossy is nice anyway but that's a matter of personal opinion.

14. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

What I really want is the capabilities of the Pro, with the size of the Macbook.

*crosses fingers and prays for the 12'' MBP*

15. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I totally agree.

I switched from a PB to a white MB to a black MB and now to my MBP. Nothing beats that aluminum..

16. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

We'll have to agree to disagree...

I had an AluBook for about a year for work, and I've owned 2 iBooks and now a MacBook.

Personally, I think the MacBook is the best computer Apple has made, and certainly the best value in Apple's Mac lineup.

Let's look at the comparisons:

1) Aluminum vs. White or Black plastic. This is a personal choice. I love the glossy white. Obviously you don't. It stretches credibility to claim that the design is "un-Apple", though, since glossy white has been *the* signature of Apple design for at least the past 5 years.

2) Size/Weight. I happen to think the 13.3" is the perfect size, and 1280x800 a suitable pixel density for that screen size. Yes, the Pro models have a 1440 pixel width and 15.4" screen, but by the same token they are larger and less portable. I would say this: the Pros are only 0.4 lb. heavier than the MBs, impressive considering the much larger screen. But on the other hand, the MBs are 1" thin just like the MBPs, an impressive engineering feat considering the smaller volume to put in components, and different materials used for the case. By comparison, the iBooks were *much* thicker than the PowerBooks.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that for *every* other computer company besides Apple, you pay a *premium* for the smaller size. For example, go to a Best Buy and compare the prices of a 15.4" computer vs. a 13.3" computer. The 15.4" will generally be *less* expensive than a comparably equipped 13.3".

3) Pro-only features: dedicated graphics, backlit keyboard, and Express/34 card slot. Again this is a personal preference. I am not a gamer or a "pro" graphics software user, so the integrated graphics are fine with me. For what I use my MB for, I've *never* once thought of it as underpowered. As for backlit keyboard: guess what: It's not necessary with a white computer!!! I found this out even with my first iBook. The light from the MBs display illuminates the highly reflective white keyboard quite well, making a white iBook even *easier* to use in the dark than an MBP, in my opinion. The Express/34 is the ONLY MBP feature that I wish my MB had. The reason being, I anticipate that in the near future I will want a 3G modem for my laptop, and with the MacBook my only option is USB.

4) Price. Againk this is a personal preference. I just think the MBPs are overpriced. For example, if you take the "middle" MacBook and configure it with a 120 GB hard drive, it's only $1449. That means you're paying $550 for all of the "extra" features that the entry-level $1999 MBP would have. Since the *only* feature I covet on the MBP is the Express/34 card slot, it's just not worth it to me to pay the extra $550.

So hooray for MBs. They are fantastic computers. They are far and away the best value Mac, and the gap will only increase when the MB prices drop by $100 as I predict they will within the next year.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Since you haven't actually used your macbook pro yet, I think it's pretty funny that you'd say you've "gotten used to" the higher resolution... unless you're referring to your old powerbook. In which case I'd point out that its 15" display was essentially the same resolution as the 13" macbook display. But whatever. :rolleyes:

18. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

all the apple gear is tops, both macbook and mbp..

having said that the MBP is probably the sexiest and most aesthetically pleasing hardware ever :)

sorry... 1pt to MBP over here...

19. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

It's actually not, and why is it funny? I'm buying the exact same size/resolution as I had before. It was a 1440x990 res on the latest rev powerbook, as it is on the macbook pro. The resolution of the MB is simply too small for me.

20. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

The OP has a point.

I love my MacBook, but I'm currently readying my 12" PowerBook to be sold tomorrow, and I have to say the PowerBook does feel more like a quality machine. The mouse is better, the keyboard is better (matter of prefernce I know). I wouldn't want to go back after getting used to the speed of the MacBook, but there is more of a feel of quality about the PowerBook.

I am a little sad to be selling my beloved PB - I even found several excuses to keep it in the house for a while, but now she has to go.

At least it's going to a good home - a MR member.

21. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I agree with the thread starter, MacBooks are a really poor laptop, they might be a better machine if they weren't lacking a matt screen and weren't so heavy.

I'm comparing the weight against my 12" PB. The MB is so much heavier that I won't stand for it. If I wanted a heavy laptop I'd buy a 15" or 17" MBP. Which I might do if a 12" MBP comes out.

I like how thin they are though.

22. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I was choosing between a PowerBook G4 and a Refurb MacBook. I went to the Apple Store and tried out the Macbook and I felt uncomfortable with it.

Don't get me wrong, these things are speed demons, but I didn't like the wierd looking keyboard, bad gpu, no pc card slot, and a small screen.

I went with the G4 in the end because it's got the same design as the MBP, those felt a lot more comfortable. I can deal with the speed, I'm not concerned with it.

23. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

The higher screen res is really only necessary if you do graphic design or other photoshop work, since the mb isn't a gamer's laptop. The weight is comperable to many windoze notebooks of similar specs. And the case is by far better than any windoze notebook. Settle on the polycarb case and no backlight and you save $700. And calling the mb manure makes Veritas&Equitas a bit of a stultum virum.

24. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Just to warn you: The last (RevE) PB that you traded is 1440x960. The MBP, 1440x900, so you are still going to lose 60 lines of vertical resolution (the height of the dock for example).

It may not sound much, but the Rev E powerbook is a noticeably more useful size than 1440x900. I know because i have a 17"iMac that is 1440x900 to compare it to.

You also lose the perfect 3:2 aspect ratio. (Perfect for fullscreen viewing of DSLR photos without borders, that is.)

IMO widescreen displays are only more useful than 4:3 displays IF they have enough vertical resolution. 900 lines is a bit tight (IMO).

my 2p

25. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Wow, I actually agree with you! (Nothing personal, btw ;))