MacBook not charging/finding battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mainstreetmark, Jan 8, 2007.

1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

After running the battery dead, really dead, I got it back on the charger, but it's not charging. The icon in the menubar is the missing battery "X" icon. When I remove power, it looses power immediately.

I've taken it out, observed no crud on any of the terminals, reset the PMU (with holding down the power button for a while).

Ideas?

2. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

It's actually dead. Take it in to an Apple store and they will give you a new one. I had this happen to me about a month ago.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's what it sounds like. Hopefully he's still within his warranty period.

4. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

It's not like it wasn't holding a charge or anything. I was still getting 3 or so hours out of a battery charge.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

this happened to me on christmas day of all days!!!

had to wait a few days to call apple, but they had no hesitation in sending a replacement battery (was still within warranty period)...

received battery on 3rd Jan and worked a charm :)

6. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Yep - the battery was "dead", so i had to buy another one for like $150 or so. Kinda sucked.

But, now i have this battery pack here, which really should be good. I wonder if I should rip it open and see if i can repair it somehow. The computer isn't old enough for this battery to be all-the-way-dead. I was getting 1.5 movies off it just last week!

7. diadem macrumors regular

DO NOT TAKE THE BATTERY APART. Its main component is Lithium which is Extreamly voilitile I cant stress enough not to open it. You could blow off your hand of or worse.

8. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Thanks for the warning. I don't mean take the cells apart, of course. I mean, just get down to the electronics with a volt-meter and see if i can spot a fault, since i have quite a bit of faith that there's some life left in these cells. I'd love to have two batteries, since i spend a third of my day without power.