MacBook not connecting to AirPort on wakeup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by uncle fuz, Jul 19, 2006.

1. uncle fuz macrumors newbie

uncle fuz

Just recently, I noticed my MacBook not connecting to AirPort after i open it up from sleep mode. It used to always connect, and I haven't changed a thing in the settings. If anyone has a solution (or a similar problem) I'd appreciate some help about it.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Network pane of System Preferences, is AirPort set to Automatically join networks? :)

3. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

My MacBook now does exactly the same. To get the airport to re-connect to my WiFi I've got to log off and log back in again.

4. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Try doing what what mad jew said, that should take care of the issues you are having.

5. sonictruth macrumors member

I've had this problem occur intermittently for years with my G4 PB (17in, 1.33) - we've never been able to diagnose it - at all. Sometimes, it's never a problem for months, and other times, like since 10.4.7, it's alot more frequent (several times a day, and the computer's only used a few hrs a day). And the AirPort has been configured to automatically join networks, always, since Nov 2003 (10.2.8 and 10.3).
    The fastest way we've determined to re-connect is to go to the menu bar, turn the airport off, and then turn it back on - almost always works, and without having to select the network and enter the security type and password.
    I don't have a solution, just thought I'd offer a similar and longstanding experience. (Oh, one other tidbit, the base station station is 15 ft upstairs through the family rm ceiling, and reception is never a problem - always great reception once connected.)
    And I hate to say this, my windows laptop for work never has this problem at home. Windows wireless is one of the only redeeming things about windows, other than it never asks me to enter my password - I want to enter the password.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In your troubleshooting efforts, did you ever reset the PMU? :)

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

my PB G4 1.5 GHz has exactly the same problem. had it for 2 1/2 years over all system updates, never found a solution except the workaround you described. tried everything including PMU and that.

i heard that complaint from many PB owners. somewhere they posted that that problem comes up as soon as you have more than 1GB RAM. :confused:

8. uncle fuz thread starter macrumors newbie

uncle fuz

Yep. The bars that tell the signal strength are even filled in, indicating at least SOME sort of connection. But I've still had to disconnect and reconnect in order for it to work.

9. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

I recently switched wireless routers, and got the same problem. After removing the saved "trusted network" from System Prefs and re-adding it to the list, it has been reconnecting without a hiccup.

10. trucker macrumors newbie

FullmetalZ26 has the right answer

I had this problem after updating 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 (MacBook).

Solved in 1 minute by following FullmetalZ26's post: delete preferred networks from the list in "System Preferences" / "Network" / "Configure...", and then rebuild the list.

None of the other ideas in this thread solved the problem, in my case at least.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

My MacBook has the same problem after waking up from sleep (with the additional fun that the "airport" process will run at 99% CPU until I force quit it in Activity Monitor) since I got 10.4.8

I've reset the PMU, PRAM, tried the Apple support document of deleting the trusted network and then adding it back, the MacFixIt suggestion to go into the Keychain and delete the network from there ... nothing's helped.

I just did an archive install of OS X. I'm back to 10.4.6 and everything's working fine. It's downloading the 10.4.8 update. Hopefully everything's still good after that!

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

aristobrat, if it plays up again in 10.4.8 then try removing the file com.apple.airport.preferences.plist from the SystemConfiguration folder in your Preferences folder. This might help. :)

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks! The thought that the Airport would have its own plist didn't even occur to me. Reinstalling did fix the problem, but your suggestion opened my eyes to another great troubelshooting step in the future.

14. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think the thread was started before that forum was created though. :)

16. billtanderson macrumors newbie

The first thing I tried was deleting my home network from the preferred list and adding it back - no effect.

So now instead of the join preferred network option I have it set on the other option to join remembered networks (can't remember the exact option wording and I'm away form my Macs :( ), which seems to work OK for the moment.

17. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

The first post in the MacBook and MacBook Pro section was made on 07-12-2006, 11:35 AM. That is almost one full week prior to this topic being created.