MacBook-Now or later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Craigy Boy, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. Craigy Boy macrumors member

    Dec 27, 2006
    My laptop is really on it's last legs. Built in wireless does not work, dvd writer has stopped working (doesn't read CDs or DVDs now), battery lasts about 10 seconds, Ethernet port doesn't work (have to use wireless dongle) and some of my keys you have to hammer to get working.

    Now I'm starting to get very annoyed with it as you can imagine. At the moment I'm planning on getting a MacBook when Leopard comes out. However today, after a few frustrating hours on my laptop I'm tempted to get one now.

    Apart from Leopard, do you think there will be much difference in the MacBook itself or just minor teaks? Should I really try and hold out for a few months or just bite the bullet and get one?

    Cheers for any advice.
  2. NotFound macrumors 6502a


    Nov 30, 2006
    I just bought a Macbook c2d and couldn't be happier. If you are in that much need- which it sounds like you are- I would buy it now and just upgrade to Leopard later.
  3. Wikindie macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2006
    United Kingdom
    The MacBooks have only just (see 1-2 months) been updated. If you're thinking of waiting for the next model, you could be waiting a while.
  4. Aniej macrumors 68000


    Oct 17, 2006
    and that waiting for a while would likely be, at best, until late spring early summer for upgrades mostly related to chipsets, front bus and wireless.
  5. K20 macrumors member

    Nov 19, 2006
    Torrance, CA
    If your laptop is on its last legs, then I agree with everyone else here and say go for the MacBook now.

    I went for my iMac after my PC desktop died and my laptop started dying on me also. I couldn't be any happier after 12 years of using Windows. :)
  6. Aniej macrumors 68000


    Oct 17, 2006
    just out of interest, what size iMac did you get and do you use wireless mouse and keyboard?
  7. flopticalcube macrumors G4


    Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Sounds like you need one right now! Next major HW/SW revision will come in Aprilish time. Can you put up with your current POS until then?
  8. Jay42 macrumors 65816


    Jul 14, 2005
    My bet would be that there won't be a new MacBook for at least another six months
  9. fps macrumors member

    Jun 9, 2004
    It's pretty simple. If you need it now then buy it now, if not then it's up to you. As others have said next major upgrades should be around spring 2007. Having said that I'd wait at least for the MacWorld Expo 8-12 jan in case you get more for less + iLife 07. After all it's only a couple of weeks away.
  10. mrmma macrumors member

    Dec 27, 2006
    I don't know whether you were interested in his/her particular iMac, but I have had a 17" iMac purchased in November with bluetooth mightymouse and keyboard and they have functioned perfectly. I was able to get into my wife's webmail account by getting to the login screen, bringing the keyboard to another room for her to type her login and password...probably 20-30 feet through a wall. The wireless mouse works great when I want to hold my child (2 months old) in my right arm and mouse with my left hand.

    I recommend the combo to everyone. I plan on getting a MacBook and will get a wireless mighty mouse to carry around with it (no cables to mess with-woohoo!).
  11. phungy macrumors 68020


    Dec 5, 2006
    I would buy it now. I was contemplating on whether to wait until after MWSF but an order was placed this morning and it already shipped! I'm excited!

Share This Page