macbook - now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by florianwagner, Sep 27, 2006.

1. florianwagner macrumors newbie

hi there!

i'm switching from pc to mac and i want to by a white macbook. i'm a unversity student and i primarily need the macbook for writing, music, watching movies and series and photoshop(hobby webdesign, not print).

i wondered if i should get it right now or wait till merom is out. i heard it may be shipping for holiday season? is this date realisitic?

and do i need the merom/is it worth waiting for?

thanks!

2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

MacBook Pro updates will probably come before the MacBook so if you need it then get it now.

3. islandman macrumors 6502

Get it now. Merom won't give you that much of a performance boost.

4. florianwagner thread starter macrumors newbie

i heard the merom ibooks will probably be cheaper ... could this be accurate?

and ... i don't desperately need the ibook now. i just don't know if it's worth the waiting.

5. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

first thought, you are being sarcastic, so i was gonna "LOL"

but then realized you are a newbie (no offend to other newbie who have significant knowledge, but let's agree there are some who don't).. i just thought you might not be sarcastic... which means you have NO idea what you are talking about do you...

the last revision of ibook is G4, and is officially ended now, there are no new ibook anymore... no ibook yonah, no ibook merom, no ibook conroe, no ibook woodcrest.........

now if you are talking about macbook w/ merom.. cheaper than what? than the corrent macbook? probably not, cheaper than macbook pro with merom? most defintely...

6. florianwagner thread starter macrumors newbie

uh sorry i meant macbook... well it's been a rough day :)

anyway, i'd feel bad if i'd buy a laptop today if i see the new models coming out three weeks later :/ so i'm really not sure...

7. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Why feel bad? Will the new model have features that will benefit you greatly?
    The simple answer is no. Just buy now and put yourself at ease. It's really not worth the worry, it's just a computer.

8. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

why would you feel bad? (now this is not a sarcastic/rhetorical question).. think about it and talk about it... you paid for a decent machine, just because another one comes out, it doesn't affect he performance of your own... why would you feel bad?

9. nnick macrumors regular

nnick

I would buy now. Technology is always improving. Once the new ones come out you will start to hear rumors about the new ones after that and before you know it a year has gone by and you have no MacBook!

10. florianwagner thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm you are right. so finally i'm taking the switch.

thank you guys :)

11. nnick macrumors regular

nnick

Congrats!