Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
hi all, im going to be a first time mac user soon and also a switcher, im going to get a macbook and have been planning since 2 months ago, that was the time i got involved in the merom in macbook speculation, till now, there is still not a hint of macbooks coming with c2d apart from the fact that foxcom reports to havr new macbook models, now heres my worry, to get it now or continue waiting, i have already missed out on my chance to get a mb early as the student discount in my area ends at 16th sept, and i have been waiting since....

after reading all these, i have a few questions to all mac users, convinced to switch my a long time mac user, im sure that you guys would help me make a sane decision.....

1. Will the merom macbook release before the holiday season? ( probablity?)
2. or is it going to be released at all??

as you can see, my situation is like this, i can afford to wait for a macbook now, but i cannot afford to wait till santa rosa comes out, and whether to take a risk and buy it now and risk losing out on a better one later or to wait and risk losing time and sleep until the new ones come out...

thnx for all your help :D

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
you're going to be waiting forever like that. Wait as long as you can, then buy. But Don't wait just because you want to see if there's something better coming out, the macbook pro's might well be updated, but I can't see the macbook line being updated so soon. I couldn't be happier with my macbook:D

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Are C2D laptops a reality yet?

In the UK I have seen nowhere that I can order any C2D laptop. Everyone seems to think that Apple are on the brink of releasing one and make it sound like other vendors have them in the shops, but we could still be talking another month or more before there are any c2d laptops available. By this time you will be thinking should I wait for Santa Rosa so that I have a true 64-bit chipset, and then there will most likely be something else to wait for, or you will be waiting for the bugs in Leopard to be sorted and the latest heatsink issues of the C2D to be resolved.

The reassurance that you have at the moment is that the Apple laptops are a stage in their lifecycle where they have been tweaked and the same goes for Tiger, you therefore stand a good chance of buying a reliable machine. That said wait if you can, but don't spend your life waiting.:cool:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
As far as I know, MacBooks & MacBook Pros are supposed to receive the Core 2 Duo processor by the holidays. :)

But there is nothing wrong with the current Core Duo based MacBook, it is still a great laptop. :)

talz13

macrumors member
May 22, 2005
Personally, I'm going to be waiting until sometime next year for whatever the latest chips are, and any price drops. I'd also like to have leopard included in my price (either installed, or a drop in disc like my mini with tiger).

Have they changed the construction of the macBooks yet, or are they still putting a tube of paste on the proc? If they're going to change how they do it, I'll gladly wait until it's done.

rmsdrummer

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2006
i'm not a professional computer guy buy any means... but i bought my macbook 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it; i strongly suggest getting the 2.0 instead of the 1.83 ghz.

from what my friend tells me, the C2D is really more of a bragging right and most computer users won't be able to notice a difference in performance for basic tasks. again, this is just what he tells me and i'm just relaying it (i have no idea actually), but he said most software anyway isn't capable of taking advantage of the C2D... again, someone please correct me if i'm wrong :)

anyway... i'd get the macbook now. and why did your student discount end on sept 16? you can't just go to apple and find your school and get the discount on there?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rmsdrummer said:
and why did your student discount end on sept 16? you can't just go to apple and find your school and get the discount on there?

I think he might be referring to that free iPod promotion thingy...

flalaw

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
United States
I'm about to flip out waiting for the MBP. Are other manufacturers shipping C2D machines yet? If so, I might give it a 2 more weeks and then just go for the normal core duo MBP.

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
ok thx everyone :) i think ill be buying it soon....:D

can anyone plz tell me the game compatibility of these plz?? all help is much appreciated...??

Warcraft 3 Frozen throne (DOTA)
Fifa 07
Battlefield 2

i know many say that the macbooks not a gaming machine, but also some people managed to run these...can anyone confirm??

thnx again =D

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
You most definitely CANNOT run Battlefield 2 with a Macbook. Period. Completely unplayable. Whoever said that is smoking crack. FIFA 07 would have issues as well. Although, you can run WoW probably decently. But forget the first 2 with a Macbook, especially BF2.

mikeh123

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
London
The Macbook as you say is not a gaming machine and if you want to play ANY game with decent graphics you may struggle.

Remmeber this machine does not have a dedicated video card but a really poor integrated shared memory type affair.

If you really would like decent gaming options you have to go for the macbook pro. If price really is forcing you to a macbook it will play the simpler games but dont expect to compete with anything half decent.

Remember it is Intel so you can dual boot and certain games will run under Windows pretty well.

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
generik said:
FIFA 07 should run under boot camp as well, since for what it is worth Windows is the world and no game publisher can afford to ignore Windows.

can anyone confirm on this please? (i added the bold word to add more sense =p)

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
flalaw said:
I'm about to flip out waiting for the MBP. Are other manufacturers shipping C2D machines yet? If so, I might give it a 2 more weeks and then just go for the normal core duo MBP.

I'm posting from a Dell XPS M1210 with a core 2 duo that I've had for nearly 3 weeks.

They are out there. One someone said about the difference, is true, I can't really fell that this is so much faster than a core duo. I bought it because I needed a small notebook with discreet graphics and couldn't wait any longer for a mac with my requirements. I also wanted it to be as future proof as possible... I obviously wish I could run mac OS, but I choosed to compromise with windows in exchange for c2d and discreet graphics...

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
flalaw said:

I'm on the same boat as you are my friend. I just sold my MacBook to a good friend of mine and almost bought the MBP like twice. But I think our patience will pay off with Core 2 Duos and 802.11n Cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.