Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Ok so here's my dilemma. I need a new computer, a portable desktop of sorts. I really only need windows to run 1 program, sound forge. So here's the question. Should I get a macbook and run bootcamp (does anyone here know how well it would run with sound forge?) Or get a dell. They have a pretty crazy price right now up here in canada on there top line xps notebook. Now i know its wonky looking, and I know some people say dell sucks, and I know why, but this machine has some pretty awesome specs for the money. On dell.com they want $3500 US dollars, and on the canada site there 3000 canadian with some free upgrades! If someone can tell me that i can run soundforge on an intel mac, then ill probably just wait till the new macbooks come out.

Thanks!! :D

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
well i mean you have two nice macs right there and you already have a 15" powerbook that will still run reasonably well for the next few years...

if you really need the pc software and want something different, i guess the dell would suffice nicely.

otherwise, stick with the macs. :)

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2003
California
I don't see why you couldn't run Sound Forge... intel Macs (including the future MacBook) are just like any old PC when they boot up in Windows. You're not emulating anything, nothing's going to be slower or any less compatible... everything is just the same as it is on any PC.
So I would be extremely surprised if you couldn't run Sound Forge or Premiere or any of the other Windows answers to what mac has to offer...

Although, I must ask, why is it that you must run Sound Forge? Most people would buy a Mac to use Logic or Soundtrack, not the other way round.

And Dells do suck, I'm sure you've had at least one friend whose keyboard has fallen apart or paneling has broken off their computer... you get what you pay for.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2006
MUCKYFINGERS said:
well i mean you have two nice macs right there and you already have a 15" powerbook that will still run reasonably well for the next few years...

if you really need the pc software and want something different, i guess the dell would suffice nicely.

otherwise, stick with the macs. :)

*GASP* :eek: :eek: What did you say??? Whoa, HOLD ON A SEC. TIME OUT.

Are my eyes decieving me, or did you just say "i guess the dell would suffice nicely". ......................*passes out*

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
well with an XPS look forward to a 9lb notebook that has a 45 min battery that burns your crotch off.

what does soundforge acctually do, theirs more than likely a better or at least equal native mac version

edit: DUDE, sony software sucks go learn logic express or pro if you have lots of money.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I split my MacBook Pro's hard drive 70GB (OS X), 30GB (XP). I run OS X 90% of the time for everything and when i need to play a game on the move or do whatever that can only be done on the PC i dual boot. You should have no problems at all running any software using bootcamp.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
"well with an XPS look forward to a 9lb notebook that has a 45 min battery that burns your crotch off.
hey *******, get your facts straight!! Dont be such a mac fanboy, there are better machines than a ****ing Mac!"

harrassment, mod warn the OP

funny thing is that my quote is actually from first hand experience complete with the extra big battery.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
If I was in your situation, it'd be a no brainer for me. You only need to run one Windows program, so why spend all that money for one task? Get yourself a MacBook (Pro?) and install Boot Camp on it... problem solved! :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
to the harrasing dude, your a moron and to call me whiney how about you stay online for half a second.

see the whole idea of a forum is that people talk and discuss things, most of the time people disagree, so instead of throwing a hissy fit how about you propose a logical argument or, oh wait you dont have one.

edit: no more contact, maybe he acctually looked up the specs and battery life of the XPS's :/

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
macbook pro is head and shoulders above every PC notebook i've ever seen. if you got one i'm sure you wouldn't regret it.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
my friend at college has xps

screen isnt very nice
its HUGE, and my macbook pro has better specs
he said he never unplugs it because it gets an hour and 15min batt life tops
the keyboard is actually kind of tiny and not good quality

get the mac

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
derajfast said:
my friend at college has xps

screen isnt very nice
its HUGE, and my macbook pro has better specs
he said he never unplugs it because it gets an hour and 15min batt life tops
the keyboard is actually kind of tiny and not good quality

get the mac

Sounds like my friend's 17" Alienware Laptop. :rolleyes: :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dogbone said:
Rolls on floor laughing and choking on my own vomit.

Isn't this the laptop that has the aluminum foil top? Hawt.

images

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
MUCKYFINGERS said:
macbook pro is head and shoulders above every PC notebook i've ever seen. if you got one i'm sure you wouldn't regret it.

In that case then I'll loup its head off, because only the Thinkpad deserves to be so arrogant :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I bought a Dell prior the release of the MacBooks because I needed a PC for work and it was cheap. You get what you pay for, there is a reason they are so cheap. Sell your PowerBook and buy a nice MacBook. Find some way to get it at discount, refurb or edu if you can up there if you need to save money or wait for the new models and get one of the old ones at discount. Or just continue to use your PowerBook and get a better program than Sound Forge (ewww BTW). Or just run it in VPC and take a lot of coffee breaks. :p

The Dell monitors are ok though, just butt ugly.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
solvs said:
I bought a Dell prior the release of the MacBooks because I needed a PC for work and it was cheap. You get what you pay for, there is a reason they are so cheap.

Sorry to hear about that- getting a Dell is always a reason for pity. :eek: ;) :)

solvs said:
The Dell monitors are ok though, just butt ugly.

While the styling is no where near that of Apple's, I would not go that far. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.