Macbook, or HP dv5000t?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Sep 13, 2006.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I am looking to get a new laptop. My Gateway Pentiium M of 2 years is not doing too well right now. Asides for power cord/battery issues, I just find it better to purchase a new laptop, instead of buying a new battery, etc.

So I'm looking at the Macbook or the HP dv5000t/6000t. If you're unfamiliar with the HP, the 5000t has MCE, 2gig Core Duo, 1gig RAM, 100gb HD, bluetooth/802.11, dvdrw, nvidia 7400 for $1000. The dv6000t is about $1200, but has a Core 2 Duo instead of core duo.

Or I could get the macbook. The black is real nice, but I'd like to have at least 1 gig of ram and a 100 gb hard drive. How much would that drive up the price on the mac?

I'd really not like to spend more than $1200 total.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

my white macbook with 100gb and 1gb o' ram ran about $1501.

3. Gurutech macrumors 6502

Macs are more expensive compared to PCs.
    Eventually it comes down to OS preference. If you can justify the difference in price w/ Mac OS, then get a mac. If you can't, then why not HP? :D

4. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

IMO-

The HP is a better deal right now not only because of price but because of the Rev A bugs that I have been reading about on this site for Macbooks. Also, the video card is really nice for that price on the HP. Windows has gotten much better and XP is no longer the unstable mess it was a couple of years ago.

I posted something about a week ago with the same question (Macbook, dv2000, or iMac?) and ended up getting an iMac because I wanted OS X but didn't want to have to worry about hardware bugs. If I had decided I need portability I would have gotten the HP instead though. It is probably one of the best Windows laptops for the price at the moment...Good Luck...

5. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

I bought a (white) 2.0ghz Macbook with 1GB of RAM and a 100GB HD and I must say it is an amazing computer. It ran about $1,500, but it is definetly worth the extra. The little things that Apple puts so much attention into, which you won't find on a run-of-the mill PC notebook are definetly worth the extra money.

I say go with the Macbook, you won't be disappointed.

6. budaapple macrumors regular

macbook by a long shot

I own the blk macbook and have to use that very HP laptop for my work. Let me be plain and simple that HP just plain sucks. It feels cheap crashes on me constantly and their tech support in non-existent. At least with my Apple I have a dedicated tech line and hundreds of stores with Mac genius techs from which to get help if I need it. I do not have to speak a foreign language or attempt to understand one when I am asking for help. The MBP runs smooth and is plenty fast has everything I need on it standard and when I am ready to trade or sell it there will still be decent value left where I can get something for it. Can you say that about an HP. Anyway good luck but there is my 2 cents worth.

7. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

any other thoughts?

i'm still not sure what I want to do. It seems like more than $300 or so extra for the macbook w/1gig ram and 100gig hd

8. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

To be honest... I think the hardware bugs are pretty much ironed out in the newer revisions. Between mine, two friends who have the exact same model (all ordered in the same week) and some students in my classes at college (who got theirs at roughly the same time) I haven't heard any complaints about mooing, whining, random shutdowns, etc...

I would say its probably safe to get a Macbook now and not be worried about rampant hardware issues (to the OP and anyone else considering a Macbook purchase).

9. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not at all worried about the hardware issues. All computers have some defective units here and there. I guess I'm really just asking which the better deal is or if it's worth it to spend extra for the OS. I'm fine with Windows and OSX is good as well. I pretty much do the same on both operating systems. If I got the mac i can put windows on it (which I already have an installation cd for).

10. SJK123 macrumors member

I couldn’t tell you how they compare because I am not up on all the specifics and frankly, I don’t care. I use an XP machine at work and it works just fine. The HP will do everything you need it to do and if your monetary outlay is the most important thing then get the HP.

That being said, I have a 17” iMac at home and I “love” it. I would not trade for my Dell if you added the difference in price and then some. I simply like using my Apple better. If you have an iPod you will know what I am talking about. We can’t really put into words why you should get a Mac – you just should. Trust us.

11. vega07 macrumors 65816

make sure you go to an apple store and check out the heat of the macbook. make sure it's not uncomfortable for you.

12. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

alright so i look at this blackbook on apple refurb. i was thinking, 80gb would probably be fine for me. only thing would be to upgrade the ram. i might be able to swing it. the hp with the exact configuration as the blackbook is $1115. So it's basically a $1299+RAM for the blackbook. i'm a student, so maybe I could do the white macbook and upgrade the hd to 80gb (that's $1244). So then it's spending an extra $50 for the black. but if i buy new i can also get a free nano...my brother does have a birthday coming up...

13. SJK123 macrumors member

Buying an Apple is like buying a Mercedes. A Mercedes is not necessarily the fastest or the cheapest and all cars get you from point a to point b. I is just (one of) the best for a host of reasons. Your HD may be a little smaller, you may have to fork out a couple of extra bucks in the short term, but those will wear off and you will be “happy” with your computer for a long time. I think I actually save money because I don’t think about upgrading anymore because I like my Mac so much.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i agree with your first half, its about a nice, beautiful car vs. a practical, faster, cheaper car, just depends what you really want.
    I would not agree with your second part, to talk about "long lasting value", in this modern age, all computers becoming "old" pretty fast, if its time for you to update PC, its probably also the time for you to update Mac.

15. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

16. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I have a two year old HP laptop- great little beast. It is AMD 64 bit, 3200 I think. I like it better than the Mac because it is faster (yes, it is!), and has options you can't get on an apple like a card reader (those add on card readers Mac users use are SO ELEGANT! :p )

For me, the HP is a great choice!

17. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Im having the same kinda dillema. Im looking into purchasing a laptop in the near future. Its between the HPdv6000 with c2d or a MBP hopefully with c2d. Im having a hard time choosing one. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of each if anyone cares to reply? Ive heard that macs are faster than pc's. Maybe its just a myth that macheads post to brag.

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Go with the MacBook dwd3885, it is well worth the price difference over the HP. :)

The Core Duo will smoke any AMD Mobile chip (especially from two years ago). :)

EDIT- for the record I had a HP Pavilion notebook with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and my 2GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro is much faster! :)

19. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Depends what you do. For me, the advantage of OS X outweights the slight price difference.

MB
    Pros: Better processor (Core Duo beats out Turion so far), included webcam, included optical audio-out, lower weight, OS X, can run Windows too.
    Cons: Price (maybe, depends on config), Rev A possible issues (though I know people who haven't had any problems).

HP
    Pros: Bigger size screen (dunno about resolution), better graphics card if gaming, card reader. Probably more memory in a base config than the MB, but I haven't researched it fully so idk.
    Cons: Runs Windows. IMO ugly hardware (you decide though). Depending on your aptitude with Windows, spyware/malware/virus issues. Can't run OS X ever if you decide you hate Windows.