macbook or imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bladerunner6, Jul 28, 2006.

1. bladerunner6 macrumors newbie

i want to get a new mac for music recording and video making, plus a game now and then. i'm going to be using apps like final cut pro and maybe logic pro.
    i was thinking about getting a MB with 1 gig of memory
    however, the macbooks have a maximum hard drive capacity of 120 GB and they have the not-so-good intel graphics. i'm afraid i'm going to run out of hard drive space
    the imacs can have up to a 500 gig hard drive and they have the ATI graphics:cool:
    i'd love to have something portable
    i don't know what too get
    thnx to anybody who answers my question:D

2. rglatter macrumors regular

Ok...you mentioned that you liked portability as do I. and you said that you main concern would be the hard drive storage space. An external drive will take care of that. I personaly have a 320 gig Western Digital external drive and i love it.

Now you also said you would be running final cut pro, im not too sure how the macbook will handle that as I have not had any experience on that. but if you do decide to go with the macbook I would max out the ram but go with the lowest stock ram avialable and then buy the max ammount of ram online. I got my ram for my MBP from 4allmemory.com and I think that they have macbook ram as well.

3. bladerunner6 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay thnx
    sorry if i'm wrong but are u saying that i should buy the ram separate?
    like get a macbook with the normal amount of memory (512 MB) and then upgrade it?:confused:
    thnx again

4. deepy macrumors regular

ok...i dont know much about macs...never owned one. dont know much about final cut pro - never used it. BUT....as far as i know, final cut pro doesnt work on macbooks because the gfx card is not good enough? is that true?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

MacBooks does not meet the minimum requirement for Final Cut Pro (though people who have tested it says everything but Motion runs just fine). Any new iMac will run FCP just fine, so will the (much more expensive) MacBook Pros.

A possible option for you might be to get a MacBook and Final Cut Express. Chances are FCE will give you all the editing power you need running snoothly on a MacBook at a fraction of the price of a (good) portable FCP suite...

6. Huskers31 macrumors newbie

Yes, get the macbook with the standard ram, and get the ram separate. You'll save a lot of money if you want to upgrade to 2gb by buying the ram separate. If you search the forums, I'm sure you'll find many websites with great ram deals for the macbook.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

actually, it's 160GB right now, and i would assume that that number will go up as time goes on, wouldn't it?

8. jive macrumors 6502a

iMac. It's mobile enough if you need it to be but you cant just set it up in a cafe or whatever. Plus, it looks sexier.

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

what are you talking about? just unplug it, grab it with both hands, and off you go - i take mine to starbucks all the time! :p

edit: well i would, ya know, if i had one..

10. bladerunner6 thread starter macrumors newbie

are u sure that macbook wouldn't run Final Cut Pro?
    i know people that run it on their 12" powerbooks.

11. bladerunner6 thread starter macrumors newbie

i checked, it's 120GB :p

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

no, it's 160.

from OWC
    from newegg
    from mwave
    from zipzoomfly

they're all the same drive (hitachi), but seagate is supposedly coming out with one soon, as well.

13. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

i' say go with the iMac and dont risk having a unit that wont function like you want it to.

Of course, if you go with the less intensive version, i think you should be alright.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Too bad zipzoomfly's 160's are all out of stock. That is crazy. Under 200 bucks. Maybe someone should tell OWC that they are charging way to much compared to the competition. hehehe

15. bladerunner6 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh okay, i thought u meant buying directly from the apple site. :eek:

16. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

no kidding. i hope they're back in stock by the time i'm looking to upgrade (month-ish), but who knows. i did hear that the 160s are supposed to see a price drop this fall, so here's hoping!

ah, gotcha. that's okay - miscommunication :) - i don't buy my upgrades from apple as they charge too much. if you do end up with a macbook, i'd suggest getting your bigger drive somewhere else - a Seagate 120GB drive can be had for $100 less than what apple charges. heck, you can get the 160GB drive for less than what apple charges for 120!

17. nitynate macrumors 6502a

I would go with the macbook if you are looking for portability.

Because I am in a jam where my iMac is so bleh for little things like being a teenager. :p