Macbook or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by salmon06, Oct 21, 2006.

1. salmon06 macrumors newbie

I'm currently running on a 12inch powerbook (1.5ghz, 1.25gb ram, 80gb HDD) but just lately I'm finding it to be slow and it's starting to bug me. Especially with all the web pages running flash/ajax killing my speed.

So I'm thinking of buying a new Intel Mac at the end of the year/early next year (Maybe even wait for leopard). But I don't know weather to buy a Macbook (black) and sell the Powerbook or buy and iMac (20inch) and keep the powerbook for running around on?

Can anyone give me some advice as to the pros / cons to either?

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I would keep the PowerBook and get the iMac.
    That way you'll still have a laptop for the road, and a powerful desktop at home for playing games or other processor intensive tasks.

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

id say get the imac. you have a portable and you get more bang for your buck with an imac. However if you need prtable power you might want the macbook.

4. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

5. rafa macrumors newbie

get the imac

i was in the same dilema until 1 month ago...

i kept my powerbook, and now i have the intelcore2duo 20" imac also. Its an amazing machine.

i mostly work in my home office aniways, so mostly i dont need the power and the mobilty at the same time. i have felt liberated carrying the powerbook around, because the intangible value of a laptop is the info and the works in progress in it, being the imac my primary computer for work stuff the powerbook hard drive its almost empty, and it runs more than well for presentations to clients, webbrowsing, word procesing and ocasional photoshop and flash work in the road.

i have my mail set up in both machines, in the powerbook the option to delete the messages from the server its off so, i have my complete mail history in the imac. I use my phone as a link for both machines adress book. im a happy man.

did i mention a 20inch monitor/computer is a great thing to have and to use?

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I would get the iMac as well. You're really not going to notice that much of a speed increase with the MacBook over your PB, but you definitely will with an iMac.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

One's probably enough for him. What would he do with 3?:p

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

imac hat trick. sweet!

get the imac (only one) and a faster hard drive for the powerbook. best of both worlds, not much money.

10. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

yah get the iMac for home use and retain the powerbook for on the go

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The IMac / PowerBook combo covers you for just about anything.

The 12"PowerBook is still the ultimate portable for most portable needs.
    PPC apps are still great on the PowerBook and you'll have plenty of storage and
    processing kick on the iMac for all your heavy lifting.

The iMac gives you everything that you were missing in a notebook.

Speed, Storage, VRAM and a fantastic display.

12. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I was also in the same situation a month ago also...

I decided on an iMac "17...

It came down to: Do I need a portable computer or a desktop computer. I came to the conclusion I only need a desktop. I spend too much time on a computer as it is, so it is more healthy for me to have a desktop. It's all about needing a portable or needing a higher end model computer.

Either way you will be happy, because I hear Apple is coming out with Core 2 Dual processors on the MacBooks any day now...

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Definitely iMac

You'd have the ultimate combination. 12" PowerBook is both tiny and still reasonably powerful with a good battery life and will run Universal apps and PPC apps very well. And it's TINY. Smaller and lighter than my iBook and even that's up there in the diminutive stakes.

Then, with the iMac you've got possibly the best Bang-For-Your-Bucks in the Mac lineup. It's got some massive grunt, lots of screen real-estate and plenty of space.

PowerBook for on-the-go use and the iMac for home/heavy lifting. Perfect combination.