Macbook or Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Carguy172, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Carguy172 macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    Hi, im in the market for a new notebook here's what do
    I'd like to have a couple adobe apps open+ms office+safari
    and more (im a big muiltitasker) I also want good battery life. So what I want to know is is it really worth the 1000 dollars for what I do.

Is the screen any better? does the graphics card make all the diffrence? will the hardrive on the macbook be big enough? How much battery life does the macbook pro average?

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    I do not like the glossy screen on the MB. There are a lot of reflections depending on the lighting of your location. The great thing about the MB is, if the HD isn't big enough, you can easily swap it so that really isn't an issue. I think the MBP is quoted at having up to 4 hours battery life with the MB having up to 6.

Which ever you choose you will need to up the RAM so include that in your price.

I think the biggest differences are (obviously):
    *video card
    *screen size

You might not see any diiference in the processors. If you aren't running a lot of video you probably won't see much difference in the video. But, if you want to have multiple apps running, you might not like the 13'' screen.

If you are near a Apple store this is an easy enough thing to check out.

EDIT: One other thing, how much do you plan on working on this laptop on the go? If you are like most users, you use mostly at your desk liking to have ability to take it with you. I would say buy the MB and invest in a nice external LCD. I would recomend this with the MBP too, but we're trying to save you money.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Keep in mind that either choice will run the Adobe apps via Rosetta emulation, which will not be all that fast and which will eat up RAM.

Battery life, as mentioned, is much better on the MB, due among other things to the fact that the screen is smaller and lower-res - I'd decide how low a resolution you can accept, then get the cheapest Mac that has that. You might well end up with a 15" MBP. Of course, for that price, you can more or less get an MB and a 17" iMac, so let's hope you can live with the MB. :)
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    My advice is to steer clear of any device that uses Integrated Graphics period. Apple was just busting on them until the hypocrites at Apple decided to use them. Or wait for the next generation of Integrated because the current one sucks turds big time. GPU's are almost as important as the CPU. I not trying to steer you into a expensive machine but real GPU's make a big difference in many applications. If you have the money the pro is a real machine while Macbook has been handicapped with GMA950.
  5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Until they are realsed in UB. That will be a happy day.

I didn't mention above, but I was a while back trying to make the sames decisision, MB or MBP, and one of the biggest points for me was the resolution and the max external display resultion, I am going to be giving presentation using this computer so I needed that to be as high as possible.

If my mobile needs were met with a MB, this is what I would almost certianly do.
  6. Carguy172 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    Thanks, Just so you know money isnt a huge problem here.
    For mobility im like the average user i'l go around in my house but not much more then that. The graphics card in the macbook I have problems with that though its just something im afraid of in the future.
    Also I really want a computer that will last thats why i'll be waiting for the core 2's to come out.

Oh and about the imac thing thats not a big deal i already have a desktop
  7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Enough said.

MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM.
  8. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Feb 21, 2006
    Getting a 17" iMac (not the smallest model, because it has the same GPU as the MacBook) and a MacBook would be more expensive than buying a MacBook Pro. The biggest advantages of the iMac would be the better display and the better HD compared to the MacBook (Pro) and the better GPU compared to the MacBook. If you are not heavily relying on the GPU (and the tasks you quoted by the OP don't), the best solution might be a MacBook plus an external screen and an external disk and maybe an external hard disk. This would be significantly cheaper than the MacBook Pro and the MacBook+iMac solution and you would have a very portable machine with the MacBook.
  9. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I have a Macbook Pro with a glossy screen and I don't find it to be a liability at all. This includes working in the ATLAS pit at CERN (read: lots and lots of bright light sources) and outside. There is some reflection, obviously, but the glossy screen doesn't look any worse than a matte screen in high light environments. Matte screens dim to the point of not being able to be seen.

Honestly, the glossy screen/reflection issue is way overhyped.
  10. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    If you get used to it. I move over to my mate's MB and it drives me absolutely nuts. My eyes begin to focus on the reflections.
  11. Carguy172 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    About the display thing I already have a dell 20" wide screen
    so that dosent make a difference to me .
  12. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2006
    London, United Kingdom
    Get a Macbook Pro and load it with ram. Its got plenty of power and go for either the Matte or glossy screen. Both look great to be honest. If you dont mind having a bigger laptop as your only using it aroung the house mainly get the 17" MBP. And the battery on the MBP isn half bad. I get around 4 hrs surfing web, and music with the screen up full. When doing some photo work in Photoshop i get around 2 and half -3 hrs of battery with the display up full. Not bad to be honest :)
  13. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    same here, it really isn't an issue to me. Choosing between glossy/matte, is kinda hard though. Reflection isn't the issue for me
  14. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I would recommend a macbook pro 15" with 2GB RAM.
  15. jTreu macrumors 6502

May 20, 2006
    if you have the money go for the MBP, imo the aluminum is a lot nicer, you get more screen for working with, which is definetly better if your multitasking a lot, and no intergrated graphics.
  16. Carguy172 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    Thanks guys

I guess I've decided to get a 17" macbook pro load it up with ram and watch it blow my desktop through the wall!!!
    I'm also getting the matte screen because I like to sit outside during to summer.

But im waiting for the core 2's
    Also does anyone know the battery life on the 17" I heard its better then the 15"
  17. Dubba macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Similar Dilemna: 15.4" or 17" Macbook Pro

I'm in a similar situation to Carguy:

Do I keep a 2.0 Ghz 15.4" MBP which was sent to me by Apple or get the 17" MBP?

My mobile needs really only mean going from home to the office (a 1.2 mile, 20 minute walk 2x a day) and within my house (sofa, table, bed).

Until recently I used a 12" PB because I used to travel a lot, but my new business does not require that.

An external monitor is NOT an option for me due to space restrictions at both home and hte office.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Although cost is not a huge issue, if I kept the 15.4" I would up the RAM to 1 or 1.5GB, but would keep the 17" at 1GB.
  18. Carguy172 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    Stick with the 15.4" because the 17" though is thin the dimensions are quite big to lug around everyday.
  19. Dubba macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    Nairobi, Kenya

Any reason that you say that given that you bought a 17" and will also be working outside in the summer?

What about screen real estate? What put you over the edge for the 17" -vs- the 15.4"?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    I'd say that the 17'' is a bit much to be carrying around, especially if you walk to work. Maybe it's just me, but the 17'' doesnt look all that much bigger than the 15.4'' .
  21. Carguy172 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    The reason im getting the 17" is because first the screen size it comes with a bigger hardrive. I also don't mind carrying around something that big.

Hope that answered your questions.
  22. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    Hmm, I think it's going to be very hard to see it....matte screens look really dim if you're in a bright environment.
  23. iñaki'sonMac'87 macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2006
    For me, I decided going for the 15,3" for travel, and When I thought between MB and MBP, the GPU and the Keyboard of the MBP makes the difference.

Anyway, both are fine machines , enjoy it!
  24. Carguy172 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    I've Tried glossy outside and have had better luck with the matte screens

Does anyone know the real life battery life of the 17" macbook pro
  25. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    if money is not your bottle neck, go for mbp, this mb rss gonna kill you sooner or later.