Macbook or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anjinha, Jan 27, 2007.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I want to buy a new laptop in a couple of months for school and I don't know which one to get. I need it mostly for school (mostly for papers and research on the internet) but on my free time I use a lot of Photoshop and Freehand and I would like to start working with Flash too. I know that the MB is good enough for me but I just wanted to know if there's any reason for me to choose the MBP instead. Is it worth it? One of the reasons like the MB better is that it's lighter (I have to walk a bit to get to school so a light laptop is a plus) but I worry that the screen is too small, since I'm used to working in at least 15.4'' screen. What do you guys think?

2. oceanmonster macrumors regular

I'd get the macbook and spend the extra money to buy an external monitor you can use when you work in photoshop. Depending on which computer you have been using in the past, the macbook has the same screen resolution as many 15.4 screens. It uses 1200x800.

3. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

The macbook pro has a native resolution of 1440x900 on its 15.4 just to give you an idea. I'd still go with the macbook route vs the macbook pro coupled with an external monitor paired up. I really think that's the best value right now with what you are looking at. The only thing that might entice you to get the MBP would be the dedicated graphics card vs the onboard one in the Macbook.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

size alone, the footprint of the macbook isn't much smaller than a macbook pro (though, for me, it's enough). i'd go to an apple store and check them out to see if you can handle a 1280 by 800 resolution.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I decided to go with a MacBook Pro from an iBook G4 and I feel I made the right choice. The screen size is very useful and a lot better compared to the MacBook (2" plus higher resolution does make a difference). I am also a student and I am fine with the MacBook Pro being less than half a pound heavier than the MacBook, as it doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I find the MacBook Pro keyboard much easier to type on, I found the MacBook keyboard awkward. You can get a refurb 15" Pro for $1300 for the 1.83GHz Core Duo, which is the same price as the middle ranged MacBook with the superdrive. The performance difference isn't that much between Core 2 Duo and Core Duo, so I say go with a refurb MacBook Pro and get the MacBook price for a MacBook Pro.

6. Boxer macrumors regular

I personally like the MBP over the Macbook, but you have to consider your needs, and the savings you get with the Macbook. I would say from the information you provided you have already made up your mind. I would say a Macbook would be a good choice for you.

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

It's actually the same weight. 5.2lbs vs 5.6 lbs, MB vs MBP, respectively. 0.4lbs isn't much.
    Go with the Macbook.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

for you, as i see it, the decision has little to do with functionality as it does with preference. also, it doesn't seem that price is a problem for you, or you really wouldn't be comparing the two.

i prefer the MBP's aluminum casing, the larger screen, and the illuminated keyboard (not a big selling point for most, but it's these little extras that i like).

i could've done fine with a MacBook but i don't think i'd be as happy using it as i am using my MBP.

9. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

make sure you try out both keyboards. the pros have more of the feeling of a typical notebook computer, but the macbooks have a raised keyboard, which you may or may not like. i prefer the macbook's keyboard myself, as i have very large hands and the pro keyboard seemed too slippery for me and the macbooks felt firm for me.

plus, the pro displays are kinda mediocre based on some of the complaints i've heard and the battery power is lower.

10. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

The Macbook keyboard in my opinion is annoying. I prefer the look and feel of the Pro in many respects. However, functionality wise, the MacBook Pro doesn't really offer that much more than its own dedicated graphics card.

I was checking out that refurb deal and it's good except for the fact that you are only getting 512MB ram. I am not going to dig to look, but vs. the MacBook, the Pro models might be a little harder to upgrade memory on.

For value, the $1999 model below with the 120GB HD, 1GB RAM and 17" screen would be a better deal. You would get more out of that notebook in the long run - especially if you put Leopard on there.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Upgrading RAM on a MBP is very easy. It took me about 5 minutes to upgrade my RAM, including the time it took to shut down before I opened up the computer and the time it took to reboot after I was done. It's not difficult at all.

12. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

yeah...

Yeah... Really, you shouldn't be worried about size or weight at all. The difference is SOOOOO neligible it's rediculous. I took a good deal of time trying to decide between the whole line (macbook - mbp and even the 17inch) as I am a student, and like you use my computer for basically everything, but as a design student do a lot of photoshop/illustrator adn even a little 3d work (although that's in windows sadly)

A lot of my friends have been upgrading to macs (and yes.... upgrading hehe) this last year as they can run windows on them as well, and we have all varietys from white to black macbooks to pros of all sizes.

I've tried all of them as far as carrying them around and the feel, and I ended up with a mbp 15inch, because although the price of the macbooks is a benefit as well as their small size, it becomes apparent that like everyone has said the size isn't much of an issue between 13inch to 15inch mbp.

I personally prefer the aluminum casing, the bigger and wider screen (i'm used to my tibook with 15.4) and the keyboard I find more comfortable and (this may sound weird) sounds better.

I got a macbook pro core duo refurb for 1349 80gig 512 ram, but recently ordered a new stick of 1gig for 87 dollars (see the thread about the newegg deal) which wasn't much at all, although I have had very little problem running most of my programs with just the 512 as it is :)

So... if you are stuck, I would suggest the 15.4inch macbook pro core duo refurb and order another stick of ram (which is really easy to put in actually, my friend did it IN CLASS on one of theirs, and it went by without a hitch) chances are you will get a perfectly great computer (not having all the problems people here have asked about) and be very happy to have the extra screen size in class and the lighted keyboard in a dark lecture hall with slides or something... and I don't notice these so called grain issues on mine. It's just lovely and super bright and pretty.

HOWEVER... like this person said, if you CAN afford the extra, a 17inch might now be a bad thing to look into if you are highly influenced by large screens, because my dad has that computer and it is BEAUTIFUL and you barely notice the weight or size difference as far as carrying, as the bag size doesnt' seem too different in general, and it is still REALLY portable for that extra screen size, so if you had the money for a non-refurb macbook pro 15.4, I would go wiht a refurb 17incher if you can, because, that's just the best of both worlds. (and is really damn cool when people look over and are like "holy crap, that's an amazing screen on a laptop!!!")

After all this babbling, like everyone else said it's a matter of preference. Go to the apple store, or if you are lucky like me ask friends, and try typing and moving around and even carrying (if allowed) the different versions and see what fits your taste, and you'l end up with a machine you are happy with no matter what.

i :heart: my MBP CD 15inch :) and it loves me :D

13. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. I thought I read that it was more difficult somewhere.

14. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

I think I will get the middle range macbook. I would love to have the Macbook Pro but I really don't need it. This way I can save money for other things I need. And also the white Macbook will go really well with my white ipod (I'm a girl so the "pretty factor" is a big factor for me. lol). Anyway I want to thank everyone who shared their thoughts on this. In one month I will get my pretty, pretty laptop!!! :) I can't wait

15. redmeister macrumors 6502

i second macbook + external monitor with saved cash

youve got portability for class etc and then monitor for screen real estate while at home and can delve into photoshop etc

thats what i would do at least

16. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

For your needs, it isn't worth it, however, if you'd like to larger screen, go for it. Personally, you could do a lot of cool things with the extra $500+