Macbook or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shotgun OS, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Hello, everyone :)

Okay, I posted here awhile ago and was decided on getting a MBP. The problem is that some things came up, and I had to pay for some crap, which left me hardly any money to buy a notebook at all. Soon, due to a recent death in the family, my family (my mother, father, and myself) will be recieving some cash, and my father promised me that he would buy me a new notebook computer so that I can save up for other things.
    Now, after recently playing with both a MB and a MBP at an Apple Store, I noticed a few things that made me hestiate on which to get.

I have a few questions.

1) What is better to do; get a stock MBP C2D for 2000$, or buy a 1,500$ MB C2D and put more ram into it? The stock MB's seemed very slow(twice as slow) on opening every application when compared to the MBP.

2) I need a computer that will not be outdated/upgradable for college...that means I need a computer that wont be outdated in 4 years. Just guessing, will a MB be more outdated than a MBP in 4 years?

3) Does the white MB scratch/show wear more easily than a Blackbook? I know the Blackbook has to be wiped off time after time....

4) I need a computer that is durable. I tend to hurt products I buy (sad I know.) Lets say I knock both computers off of the same desk of a few feet. Which is more likely to not break/dent/scratch? The plastic-like casing of the MB felt more durable than the metal casing of the MBP...

5) Are the Radeon cards in the MBP any good?

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

(For reference, programs I will run include:
    Adobe Creative Suite, Garageband, Final Cut, and maybe Logic.)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

1. Taking it that you said you will be doing some work in high-end applications, like FCP and Logic, you should pick the MPB (almost) right off the bat.

2. The MacBook Pro is much more future proof than a MacBook. Look at it's components, it has a faster processor, better graphics card (much better) and it even comes with 1GB of RAM standard.

3. When you say does it "scratch" I think they both scratch equally with use, but with the BlackBook will be able to see the scratches/damages more clearly than with the white one. All the more reason to get the Pro.

4. I can't really answer this, but I think the MacBook might be more durable than the MBP because of it's size... but I suggest you just take better care of your computers.

5. The X1600 is a great card (IMO) I can play Call of Duty at full resolution (1680x1050) with all the settings on full... 4x AA, V-Sync, and it gets great framerates. When it comes to graphic design, I am sure it gets the job done very well. It beats the hell out of the GMA 950, I am sure about that.

I say do yourself a favor and get the Pro. You will be much better off with the faster processor, and most importantly, the better graphics card.

One thing you did not mention is screen size. If you want portability, get the 15.4". I know people with the 17", and they love it, but they say you lose the niecity of portability. Good luck.

3. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is what I was thinking; I just wanted to know if it was worth getting the Macbook.

I actually take care of things very well. It just seems that i have bad luck with these sort of things...

I have a 20" iMac for doing work when Im at home. I'm probably not going with the 17" because of this. The 15" would be nice. Would I have to install more ram into the MBP because of using the pro apps?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The plastic casing of the MB will last quite a bit longer than the MBP.

The MBP does tend to dent, ding, and bend to stuff that'll leave scuffs on a MacBook.

The MBP is not cheap to fix if you damage it.

If you need rugged more than a GPU -- go for the MacBook.

If it is for school, lasting 4 years is more important than how it looks at the end of 4 years.

---

However the graphics apps tend to make the MacBook Pro more mandatory -- so expect to shovel out some cash $500 at a time for your bad luck over 4 years.

5. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

here's another question: which keyboard do you like better? because i know some people love the mb keyboard and many people hate it, and same for the pros. for me, i have really big hands, and the pro keyboard just felt very slippery for me, and didn't really like it.

and the screen for the latest pros i heard stink, so you may be better off in the macbook in that respect. also, the cases can wrap on the aluminum pros, causing the battery not to fit among other problems.

expect for the graphics card (which isn't much when you think about it) and the slightly faster processor, the macbook is almost there with the pros, and it would be a plus if you like ultra portable.

the macbook can take on most of the programs as the pros nearly as fast as the pro, expect for 3d and high end video. but yes, the pros will probably last a bit longer than the macbooks, but the pros are 500 bucks more.

and btw, the high end white/black now comes with 1 gb ram standard.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Oh yeah, I just read your sig. Well if you can use your G5 at home, go for the 15.4, you will love the portability! For what you are doing, I would recomend 2GBs of RAM in your MBP or MB. Either way, you will want 2GB, but if you get the MB, you will need 2GB of RAM to get the performance you will want, and also to make up for the limitation on the GPU, and CPU. So all in all it would be smart to get a MBP.

7. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I can only answer some of your questions as I have only limited experience with non Pro apple computers.

With regards to the Macbooks , they are solid machines. a couple of my friends have them. i would get the black one as I have seen a white one that is absolutely filthy after a few months. But you will have to remember that plastic will show alot of wear around where you rest your palms.

Now on the durability front, it would not be healthy for any notebook computer to fall from that height. the macbook pro will definitely dent if it lands on its edge. the macbook will probably crack - depends on the hardness of the floor (carpet or not).

the graphics cards in the macbook pro is great. I have the 256 Mb variety and it plays WoW at about 30 - 35 fps with most settings on high.

considering the apps you are going to use, a MacBook Pro is screaming out to be purchased. you will definitely get 4 years out of the pro 'book.

what i am planning is to buy a new one when the next os after leopard is released.

one major thing never to forget when buying a mac is RAM. have at least 2 gb in any mac you buy. also rememeber that photoshop is running under rosetta as well. if u have photoshop, safari, mail, ichat pages ,itunes and a few widgets open ( not that much really - for a multi tasking mac user :p ) the will take a good chomp out of your 2 gb .
    btw - get applecare as well if u can. considering this is a study tool, you wouldn't want to have a hardware failure 1.5 yrs down the track and lose all ur stuff.

good luck!!

aussie_geek :apple:

8. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

then i definitely say go for the macbook, mostly because of price and that you already have an imac to handle the big power stuff at home, unless you intend on being away from the imac for a while.

unless you want to game on the road, then seriously consider a macbook.

9. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

I say go for the mbp cause you can't go wrong... its much faster for what you need

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you want it to last 4 years, you need to get a macbook pro. Macbook's have no graphics card. Does it matter how good the MBP's is? At least it has one. Also, I believe MBP's are more durable.

11. gollum macrumors regular

How's this for durability of a Apple aluminum cased laptop...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=274678&page=2

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

In a nutshell...

Is this computer for making a living? Or is it meant to be used in your garage with the rest of your band? :D

If it is for professional use the choice is pretty much made up, if you are a hobbist on a budget, high end applications or otherwise the Macbook will serve you heaps better.

Sure, the 2.33ghz have a faster processor. At almost 250% of the price of a Whitebook!

Which is more futureproof?

Paying twice as much for a 10% faster computer, or alternatively spending 1/2 the money, snowball the rest into your savings/investment and a year down the road withdraw that and buy an all new computer. You do the math.

Personally the MBPs are quite underwhelming for their price, the MBs are incredibly good value. And yes, I am saying this as a MBP owner.

The post you referenced isn't really a good testament to the durability. It boots up, so what?

Optical drive totalled. Basically it looks like a wreck while a iBook/Macbook will probably shrug it off with a couple cracks :)

And of course Thinkpads won't even get a dent from that maltreatment, but that is a story for another day.

13. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

14. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

bravo, bravo. simply well put.

i'd add that i doubt the MBP will last 4 yrs for anyone that needs/wants the latest and greatest. things are going much faster with intel.

15. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

use student discount

not sure if you are aware by now, but as another reminder, you can use a college acceptance paper as proof of you are a student at that college. that should get you a bit of a discount.

this isn't the old days of when the ibook was so hobbled down that pretty much using anything required a powerbook, now the macbook and the pros almost match expect for the graphics card. so a macbook isn't a lesser option if you're worried about that. it's almost as powerful as the pros, and it has an edge in portability if you like a really small notebook computer. the macbook i would say is nearly as futureproof as the pros at half the price.

16. ruZZ.il macrumors member

if you plan to have photoshop open editing some graphics for a report, MATLAB doing curve fitting and some pdf's open, along with word, of course... and maybe skype in the background with a couple web pages open too with an occasional flip into parallels for some XP stuff.. I'd get the the MBP.. mine handles that daily with ease :) if you just plan on reading pdfs and docs.. plus some web sites.. and an occasional java applet thing.. then..the mb would suffice. MBPs have a couple display issues though.. graininess and stuff.. really doesnt bother me much but I got a few slightly gray pixels I'll try get my screen changed when I have time that I don't really need my machine in.. otherwise.. I'm lovin it :)

17. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

sigh...i just feel all yucky inside when someone says that the macbook isn't useful for anything but web surfing and word processing, when in fact, expect for the graphics, it's nearly in match with the pros. it's not like the macbook has a 1 ghz celeron or something.

i think the macbook should suffice, unless he's working with lots of 3d apps or games which need dedicated graphics, or needs a large screen, as he already has an imac. the macbook could handle the same thing the pro can, expect for the 3d part perhaps.

and plus, the macbook is at least 500 bucks less than the pros, making it a better value, and able to buy a new computer later on easier with the leftover money.

18. ruZZ.il macrumors member

I'm not implying that the macbook is useful just for web stuff. I've used them plenty. but when you've got quiet a workload.. well.. it just doesnt keep up as well as the MBP, and another 2.1" can go a long way with the eyes. and everyone thinks its just a graphics card away. well.. on board GPUs take up a lot more resources than dedicated ones.. shared ram, using the host processor, etc.. so for non-graphic stuff.. its really great. when its anything graphical, even photoshop, etc, the cpu gets a chunk taken out of it, it uses memory.. so its not just with 3d stuff. but for people not heavy on graphics.. well.. sure.. MB. I even think my dad should get one.

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Actually, the white ones scratch much more easily (perhaps because it is glossy). My black MB shows no scratches.

Also, the white MBs still stain.

20. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

White ones will look brand new with a tin of brasso and some elbow grease :)

Black ones with brasso will look... funny.