MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Justin2, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Justin2 macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2007
    First off, sorry if this has already been asked. I haven't noticed it but you never know.

Here's my thing. I've already decided that I am going to wait until Leopard comes out before buying anything but I am not sure what to get once that happens. Between the MacBook or MacBook Pro which is better (disregarding price)? I'll be using it for college mostly if that helps.
  2. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    There are TONS of threads on this subject. Try searching them :)
  3. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2006
    You should really try to search the forums before you ask these kinds of questions....;)

If you disregard price, the MBP is better instantly. The dedicated graphics card in the MBP is better than the intergrated graphics of the MB. The only advantages to me of a MB over a MBP are the size.

If you have the cash, get a MBP.
  4. JNB macrumors 604

Oct 7, 2004
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    Understanding that searching forums is like Googling without knowing how to spell, I'd suggest a side-by-side comparison of the spec sheets, and ask yourself which of the features are must-have, don't care either way, and deal-killers.

"Using it for college" can actually be used to justify either one. Where at? What major? Lugging it to class? Resident or commuter student? You have to be able to determine what your need is first. Ask the folks on campus (as long as they don't recommend Dell :rolleyes: ).

For $1K more than a MacBook, you get with the Pro a little more screen space, a marginally faster processor, a better video card with little general-purpose advantage, backlit keyboard (wooo!), and an option for a matte screen. And a case that can be dented.

Me? I'd say get a MacBook, 2GB of RAM, move to the 160GB HDD, and with the student pricing you're right at $1650 for a black one, $1580 for a white one, before tax and no AppleCare. Can't really go wrong there.
  5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2007
    Are you going to be using any intensive 3D apps? If not, get a MacBook.
  6. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    You know, if it's just for collage (and as long as you only need it for reports, internet and chatting) You could get by with a Powerbook G3 with 10.3 easily.
  7. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Agree. You dont need a Core 2 Duo to surf the web and type in Word.
  8. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2006
    As has already been stated, it's down to your requirements. Do you have any preferences regarding screen size? What kind of applications are you going to be running?

We all go through the same purchasing decisions... I spent ages reading up on here before opting for the MacBook Pro. Do plenty of searches and read about what people are using their MacBooks and MacBook Pros for and that'll surely help you come to a decision... either way you'll end up with a great machine. :)
  9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i wouldn't say that a macbook pro is "instantly" better than a macbook. the size issue is a big enough deal for most people to choose the macbook regardless of price. that extra bit of width and depth makes a big difference, and the aluminum enclosure of the macbook pro is a turnoff to some, me included. they each have their strengths and their weaknesses. because one is bigger (and it is) and faster does not necessarily make it better.

to the op, if you're waiting for leopard no matter what, you might as well wait for updated macbooks as well. they're rumored to incorporate intel's santa rosa platform, which will bring a strong advancement in terms of graphics with the gma x3000. macbook pros will also see some improvement, and you might take a liking to one of them when they're released. so sit back, and enjoy the coming spring/summer.
  10. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Feb 28, 2007
    I'd get a MacBook for college unless your into gaming.

If on a budget, get the 2GHz Core Duo MBP(1349)