MacBook or MacBookPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tinydancer, Aug 3, 2006.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

I need a new laptop and am replaceing a 800mhz g3 iBook. I will need to run Virtual PC among other apps. Why should I consider the Pro vs. the regular Macbook, or should I. Any recomendaion. I don't really know what else to ask, so I can give more information if you have question about my needs.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

MBP if you can afford it... it's just a nicer computer in general. You won't need to run VPC, you can just dual boot windows...

Wait til after monday though, MBP might get an update at WWDC....

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You won't be able to run VPC, and you won't need to. Parallels or BootCamp will take care of you.

Only you can compare the 2 Macs and make the choice on what you need. It all depends on what you do, and what you plan on doing.

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

One thing: what are you going to use it for? And you do not need to worry about virtualPC anymore thanks to bootcamp which makes you boot windows as well as OS X.

If surfing, noting, writing, portability, mailing, calendaring (great word) etc etc. is your thing, go with the cheap Macbook.

If you rely on a lot applications that need screen estate, photoshop, videoediting, then go Pro.

5. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

is this "bootcamp" installed on the new books at this point...or is this coming in the future? Do you have to purchase windows? and does "bootcamp" work on Macbook and macbook pro? Will apple honor the federal tax holiday this weekend? And is the general consensus to wait until after WWDC?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

no
    no
    yes
    yes and yes
    yes
    yes

Bootcamp is a beta download from Apple. Google for it.
    You still have to have a legal copy of Windows XPproSP2.
    Parallels allows for tandem working with OS X & WinXP, rather than the dual-boot option of Bootcamp.

7. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

so is bootcamp a free download? is the beta version working with success?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

yes
    yes, with limits. No iSight drivers in Windows, and some other (minor) things, but for all intents and purposes, it works great.

9. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

ok...thanks for the help.

Any suggestions on how much RAM to purchase? And can a document created in iWork be opened and edited in MS word by PC users? how much does windows cost and whats the best version? is the macbook likely to recieve an update at WWDC? sorry for all the questions...i realize I could do most of the leg work on this myself, but you seem to know the deal, and I'm lazy...thanks

10. KidVicious macrumors newbie

KidVicious

as much as you can afford. maybe. a lot, professional SP2. no.

11. elsiedee macrumors newbie

From Apple, no, but at least one third-party retailer is doing this. MacMall is selling a bundle with Boot Camp and Windows XP Home or Pro pre-installed on the Intel Macs (MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac mini). They include a disclaimer which states that "Customer should only purchase and/or use Macs preconfigured with Windows XP for evaluation purposes. Customers may not be able to use the Windows XP software after the time-limited license of Boot Camp expires."