MacBook or MacBookPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacZealot, Feb 1, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

That is the question....I'm thinking about saving up for a laptop, and I was originally thinking about the MacBook, but I'm starting to look at the Pro as well (I don't like to use MBP, it's my school's initials.) Here's what I do:

>I travel and do film editing. I currently have an iMac G5 (17", 2.0 GHz, 512 MB RAM, SuperDrive) with FinalCutExpress 3.5. I capture all my footage on my trips, and then bring it home, put them on my external hard disks, finish them, and send the video to my client. It'd be nice to be able to import all the footage while I'm on the trip (footage is anywhere between 1 and 4 hours), put it on the external hard disk, and finish it on the G5.

>I think I'll need a laptop for school next year. Self-explanatory.

>I surf the web a lot, and I have a wireless network at home, so why not?

Which is better for my needs? If I get the Pro, I could just get an off-the-shelf 2.16 GHz one with FCE preinstalled (since I don't have a universal copy of it.) If I get a MacBook, I'd get either the White 2.0 one or a Black 2.0 one with FCE preinstalled. Although the MacBooks' hard disks are smaller, I figure that I'll just put all of my FCE files on the external disks anyway.

Which will would better with FCE?

Thanks!

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Why not buy an iMac and a Macbook?

The laptop for the laptopey things that people supposedly need laptops for in college (I never understood the need), and the iMac for the grunt power.

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

No, you don't understand. I already have an iMac, and it's in perfect condition. I'd just like a laptop for school (which I think is something good to have) and for the ability to edit video on-the-go.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Actually if I am in your situation I'd buy a Macbook.

For video editing the only real perk IMO is the ability to hook up external drives via FW800. But since you are video editing on the go that is kind of a moot point anyway...

Besides processor wise the Macbook will eat your iMac G5 alive, so if you are happy with the current iMac you should be happy enough with the Macbook. The Macbook Pro is expensive enough for you to get a new iMac and a Macbook btw... hence I am not really that leaning towards it. You can get better bang for buck with 2 machines than just one (not so great) laptop.

5. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

go for the macbook..imac plus macbook combo should be sufficient for you

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

But what about the screen size? I regret the fact that I went for a 17" iMac and not a 20" one. I need more timeline space!

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

If you need a big screen, the choice is obvious.

FJ

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Yes, the choice is obvious.

Buy a Macbook and use the rest to buy a nice ultra sharp Dell. :D :apple:

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Then how it is supposed to work on the go?

Get a MacBook Pro, if you need a bigger screen. I also find 1280 sceen to be too small for any serious work.

10. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I think I'll test it out the next time I'm at an Apple Store. Do they have FinalCut installed on the MacBooks? I guess I'll find out.

Plus, I probably won't get one for a while. I have nearly $600 saved up, and I can use my sister's education discount, plus my parents might give me some money as a birthday present, so I have some time. Plus, I think I'll wait for Leopard and iLife + iWork '07 to come out. I'm tired of using Office.

11. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Lug around the monitor of course! Ok, if you're going to get the MB or MBP. Buy from Amazon as its cheaper than buying a new one from Apple even with the educ. discount.

12. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

The Black one is actually the same price, only through Apple Education, I don't have to deal with a cumbersome rebate. Plus, I'm going to need FinalCutExpres preinstalled because I don't have a universal copy of it.

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well to be blunt you don't need to do video editing on the go.

Most of us don't spend time sipping some "branded" and expensive coffee when putting together the next blockbuster together in a cafe. If you spend a lot of time in uni just chuck an extra iMac there, if you don't have your own office there then obviously you are not that important (yet) :), the only decent Macbook Pro that has a nice screen is the 17", and woah that thing is huge and costs the same as a Mac Pro!

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Personally i'd buy a refurb macbook pro - same price as macbook.

I'm regretting buying my black macbook. And after 3 months of sticky finger student usage, your macbook is going to look damn ugly.

If you go macbook, I would go white.

15. allroy macrumors member

best advice

I bought a refurb 2.33ghz MBP and couldn't be happier. Larger screen, faster processor, graphics card, FW 800 all very important things for video.

16. chriseh macrumors newbie

I own the 15" MacBook Pro (2.33 Ghz, 2 Gig Ram) and would suggest this unit over the MacBook for video editing, since I use it for video editing as well.

Here's my thoughts:

1) MacBook Pro's 15" screen beats the MacBook's 13" screen, especially for viewing the timeline of FCE. Otherwise you'll spend time scrolling over the time line continuously.

2) MacBook Pro's matte screen (which is a buyer's choice) is easier on the eyes than the glossy screen of the MacBook. The glossy screen which is great for watching DVD's has too much saturation in the colors, in my opinion for really doing serious digital editing.

3) MacBook Pro's Firewire 800 is great for working with an external harddrive. MacBook only has Firewire 400.

4) I'd also max out the processor to the 2.33 Ghz in lieu of the slower MacBook's 2.0 Ghz.

5) MacBook Pro does not require a DVI adapter to plug into my external 20" Apple Cinema Display, which means its one less item to lug around.

6) MacBook Pro 15" is not much larger or heavier than the smaller MacBook 13", so the effort to carry it around is about the same. The MacBook Pro 17" however is much more computer to carry around, and is not as portable.

17. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I agree totally with chriseh. It is so funny to me when people complain about the weight of a macbook pro vs. macbook. That small amount of weight difference should not be an issue. If it is, look for a Bally's or Gold's Gym in your area. Best advice I can give you is have a look at refurb macbook pros on the apple website or do like I did; buy it from your school's computer store if they sell Apple products. I bought my macbook pro from there for 799US. It is a core duo, refurb from apple, and has the smaller hard drive but it more than takes care of my need. And with all the money I saved by buying it there, I bought a huge external hard drive and I'm looking at buying an external monitor so that I can do some video editing at home. Good luck on your next purchase!

18. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I travel the country, go to rock concerts, film the band on and off stage, and make monthly video diaries for them. It'd be nice to be able to edit them on-the-go as it's hard to do them with this nuisance the people around me like to call "high school."

I was thinking about it and comparing them on the Apple store, and instead of looking at diagonal screen length, I looked at pixel count, and the MBP 15" has the same number of pixels as my 17" iMac G5. :eek: The MacBook's pixel count is slightly less. I might be going to the Apple Store tomorrow, and I'll compare them.

I don't mind it that much, either, for basic tasks, although I've never edited video on a demo unit. Again, I'll take note of it tomorrow.

I guess that's nice, but all of my video peripherals are FW400, and I'd like to work on the videos on-the-go, and then save them to an external hard disk and finish them on the G5. Unless if I can find another external hard disk that's both 400 and 800, (I have some FW400 FireLites) this isn't really an advantage for me.

Good point. Of course, any of these intel macs can surely blow my G5 out of the water.

I'm clueless when it comes to using an external display. This summer, my sisters wanted to watch a DVD on our DVD-less upstairs media room (because there were "mice" in the basement....where our DVD player is) and I tried figuring out how to hook up my sister's 12" PowerBook up to it, and I couldn't figure that out. It'd be really useful if I could maybe be able to hook up my future laptop to A/V inputs (you know, those yellow, white, and red plugs) because I know all of our TV's have those. It's nothing necessary, but it'd be nice to be able to show my family my latest project on our 52" rear projection TV without burning a DVD.

I was getting close to buying an iBook about two years ago, but I went with the iMac G5 instead. I didn't realise this at the time, but a widescreen display is really great for editing video. Had Apple not converted the iBook into the widescreen MacBook, the choice would be pretty clear. Either size, the 13" or 15", is fine with me. My brother has a 15" PowerBook G4 (last revision ever) and I really like the size of it. However, I don't understand why he needs a PowerBook/MacBookPro when all he does with his mac is surf the web and use iTunes when I'm working with FinalCutExpress.

I really like the 15" display over the 13", but that's hard to justify for the $400-500 difference in price. It's also hard to invest so much in another compuer knowing what sort of a good computer I have now, which I mostly paid for.

The MacBook does have its faults, too. The glossy screen did bother me, but I haven't spent much time with it. Plus, I hope that they will have an option for a matte screen by the time I'm ready to buy. I also am wondering if 13" will be enough for FCE. And while the Core 2 Duo can definitely blow my G5 out of the water, it would be nice to have an extra 160 MHz.

I'm still torn, but I'm definitely not buying until at least Leopard comes out. I'm also expecting another revision from each line sometime in the next 6 months or so, so I have time. Plus, I'm still saving.

It's fun to fantasize about my future portable mac, though. :) :apple:

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you're torn, err on the side of power. I would definitely get the MBP. This isn't the old days when the specs between the PB and the iBook were so close it was stupid to buy a PB. I recently have been mulling over the same thing and when I buy a new laptop, it'll be the MBP for sure. The MacBooks are fine, but the MacBook Pros are far better in my experience and will last you longer. I've been seriously disappointed with the MacBook's performance vs. the MBP. That doesn't mean the MacBook's suck, I just think you'll be happier with the MBP for a longer period of time, especially with what you're using it for.

20. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I never thought very highly of the iBook, actually. I was going to buy one about two years ago, but that's because it was cheap and I didn't have any money in that period when you start thinking about what kind of mac you're going to buy. That and my dad gave me the money to buy an iMac. But when it came time for my sister to buy a portable for college, the 12" PowerBook was great because the iBook hadn't been updated in ages (I believe it was still at 1.2 GHz at the time and the PB was 1.5) and the PowerBook came with more RAM. I have more respect for Apple's consumer portable line since the introduction of the MacBook because it is faster compared to the MacBook Pro over the iBook compared to the PowerBook.

Oh, and my sister's 12' PowerBook's casing is starting to bend and it rocks when it's on a flat surface. Does this happen to the 15" MacBook Pro? I haven't asked, but I don't think my brother's 15" PowerBook G4 is doing this.