Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Goodday fellow macrumorers. This isn't a thread about the mooing problem. I pretty much think that's been universally established :D

Now to the point. I recieved my macbook on the 2nd of August and am nearing the 14 day return period. My macbook is pretty awesome as it does not whine, get discolored or chipped, nor does it creak when I open it and doesn't get very hot. The highest temperature I saw when the cpu was working full force was 78 degrees. That being said, it does however, have the dreaded moo. My question to you guys is, is it worth it to return it just for the moo and hope to get a new flawless one??

Considering the fact that this machine was assembled anew in China and it still possesses the moo indicates apple has not done anything to get rid of the macbook problems. Right now I'm being more inclined towards keeping it for a fear if I return it I might get another one that gets discolored or whines or runs very hot, or possibly contain more than one of the above defects and still possess the moo!

So, what are my chances of getting a macbook that has no problems? Should I risk it or just be content with the one I have?

Thanks a lot to anyone who responds, Cheers!

mnmike

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2006
Return it

Return it. Get a refund. Buy yourself something else. Why settle for defects? When buying a new product, you expect it to work without fail, yet here you are succumbing to Apple's charm and using it even though it's a flawed product.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Well the fact of the matter is I need a portable for my college work. And if I return this I will buy another apple portable, and as far a I know the MBPs had lots of problems too, they are out of my price range anyway. I don't want to return it because I've gone through two Windows laptops in the past 3 years of college education and this is by far the fastest easiest and most powerful machine I have ever used. It doesn't crash, doesn't ask me to restart every two seconds, doesnt give me the blue screen of death just because some minute error occured when I installed something or connected a device, doesn't bog down and lock up, doesn't think for almost an eternity when I force quit and lock the whole system up and above all, even if something crashes or hangs, I can still use the whole system. The biggest PEEVE that made me switch was in windows if something doesn't respond, the whole system doesn't respond.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Thats my dilemma too Macbook vs Macbook Pro. I know Macbook is MUCH more in my price range but the MBPs are awesome looking.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
I second the theory of succumbing to Apple's charm - you shouldn't do that! It's a defect so return it until you get one which works!

I don't see why people put up with defects!

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
So basically you want to exchange it then...

Returning it does have a 10% restocking fee. That is atleast a 105 dollar fee depending on the system you got. I personally wouldnt do it because my moo doesnt bother me. If it really does irritate you the extent where you feel like you want to kill it, then return it

But just remember, you are paying more than you have to and risk still having a moobok... still.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
sulhaq said:
Should I risk it or just be content with the one I have?

It is possible that you might get a model that represents perfection as you define it, but there is always a risk that you will shed a particular problem for 1 or 2 others. In spirit I agree that a customer should not have to settle for something sub-par. However, the best litmus test to use actually borrows from Apple's company line where geniuses tell people that certain degrees of mooing are within the range of acceptable specs.

Use that reasoning and ask yourself if it is within your personal range of tolerance over your expected period of ownership. If it happens infrequently and does not make you see the devil in front of your eyes, perhaps you should keep it ... aside from the legitimate issue raised, it sounds like you are highly pleased with your product. I wish you well as you make your decision.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
sulhaq said:
Goodday fellow macrumorers. This isn't a thread about the mooing problem. I pretty much think that's been universally established :D

Now to the point. I recieved my macbook on the 2nd of August and am nearing the 14 day return period... it does however, have the dreaded moo.

My question to you guys is, is it worth it to return it just for the moo and hope to get a new flawless one??

Considering the fact that this machine was assembled anew in China and it still possesses the moo...

I might get another one that gets discolored or whines or runs very hot, or possibly contain more than one of the above defects and still possess the moo...

I thought you said this thread wasn't about the MOO? ;)

ibidiem

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
Portland, OR
received my mb a week and a half ago. no moo, no whine, nothing wrong but for the slightest bit of darkness in the lower right hand part of the screen -- about a quarter inches' worth, which I'm going to just accept.

all told, they've resolved most of my 'issues' with the ibook in this model, but as for your delima, only thing I can say is that if its a problem that you're not going to be able to let go of, then ax it now. but on the other hand, in a month's time the problem might be completely lost on you -- you might forget about it and that hundred bucks or so might come in handy.

luck of the draw sucks, but these products are just that -- made objects. demand excellence, sure, but how reasonable is perfection?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
sulhaq said:
Well the fact of the matter is I need a portable for my college work. And if I return this I will buy another apple portable, and as far a I know the MBPs had lots of problems too, they are out of my price range anyway. I don't want to return it because I've gone through two Windows laptops in the past 3 years of college education and this is by far the fastest easiest and most powerful machine I have ever used. It doesn't crash, doesn't ask me to restart every two seconds, doesnt give me the blue screen of death just because some minute error occured when I installed something or connected a device, doesn't bog down and lock up, doesn't think for almost an eternity when I force quit and lock the whole system up and above all, even if something crashes or hangs, I can still use the whole system. The biggest PEEVE that made me switch was in windows if something doesn't respond, the whole system doesn't respond.

Return it, ill sell you my ibook, and you can wait for the next revision. :)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Veritas&Equitas said:
I don't think plunar has been awake during the past...oh...6 months.

where have been this past 6 months? in the far future? because the macbook was just released for 4 months ;)

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
wako said:
So basically you want to exchange it then...

Returning it does have a 10% restocking fee. That is atleast a 105 dollar fee depending on the system you got. I personally wouldnt do it because my moo doesnt bother me. If it really does irritate you the extent where you feel like you want to kill it, then return it

But just remember, you are paying more than you have to and risk still having a moobok... still.

Since it has a defect, wouldn't that qualifying as not having to pay a restocking fee?

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
What! Why do people keep saying you should live with it and all this about restocking fee. The product you bought is defective. Send it back, get a new one...

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Well guys, after MUCH MUCH deliberation I decided to ignore the moo. However, after a couple more days my palm rest started creaking badly when the laptop got hot. This was too much and I got fed up and called Apple. They told me to go to a re-seller and swap it. The re-seller couldn't do it because I had customized it. He gave me a case no. and I called back apple. I saw the black macbooks at the retail store and they looked damned cool. I asked apple if I could swap the defective one for the standard blackbook and she agreed :D

However I will get credited for this one and then I will make a new purchase from Apple for the black model. She also told me I have to do it online in order to get the ipod rebate.

Now I am in another dilemma. Should I get the blackbook, or wait for the Merom macbooks?? It seems they are due next month according to rumors.

I have to place the new order on or before september the 16th in order to still qualify for the ipod rebate.

What do you guys say? Thanks again for the support everyone :)

~L~

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
sulhag by customized do you mean just internally? I was thinking of buying the MB, and adding more RAM to it, but would the re-seller swap it if I took out the RAM beforehand just in case anything goes wrong with the MB?

Krionis

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2006
does the mooing even bother anyone? its also the only issue my macbook has (although i am getting a macbook pro instead, but for gaming reasons) and i dont think its really a big deal. Compared to the issues i received on a daily basis with my once cherished pc, i embrace the moo, hell i barely notice it.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Jiddick ExRex said:
Since it has a defect, wouldn't that qualifying as not having to pay a restocking fee?

They insist it not being a defect. I called Apple a few times already and the engineer people said its not..

Also the moo is a very silent thing. I took it to the Apple Genius (morons if you ask me) and because the store is so loud (damn kids were playing with the speakers on full blast pumping out rap...ugh) he couldnt hear it and wouldnt do anything for me. I asked him to take it to the back, but he insisted on not being able to hear. I can understand because it is a very quiet sound.

It doesnt bother me too much so I dont really care. I am still pushing Apple though, because if they can stop it, all the better.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Wako: I took mine to the genius bar. I insisted that the moo was persistently very distracting but he wouldn't care. So called "within specs" ******** and also my store was also so damn loud you could barely hear it, music blasting full volume people talking out loud so much. Fortunately my creaking palm rest was enough to convince him that my macbook was DoA.

Krionis: The moo is different for every macbook. My mooing started out slow, but as I used my macbook over a period of about two weeks it slowly got so loud my it could be heard in the other room if the room was very silent, and that is extremely bothersome, especially if say you're in a library.

~L~: By customized I mean any upgrades you do when you BUY the machine. Be it RAM or Hard Drive. If you customize your Hard Drive or RAM from APPLE then you can only swap it online, or in my case, return it, get a credit, and buy a new one like I am. If you bought a standard one and then upgraded the RAM yourself, just take out the RAM before going to the store and put in the old one and you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.