Macbook or Powerbook: Resolved

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DigitalAx, Apr 3, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

ok, so I've posted in Marketplace, WTB: Macbook or Powerbook.

I'm looking for a Mac for my girlfriend, who's a pretty light user. I can pick up a Powerbook for around $600, and a Macbook for $800 refurb from Apple, with an option to add Applecare.

I'm leaning towards the Macbook because:
    1. It's newer
    2. Brighter Screen
    3. Direct from Apple
    4. Option to add Applecare
    She'll be mainly surfing the web, using iPhoto, a very small amount of Photoshop work (none professionally, and very very lightly), email, etc. Definitely not a power user.

What do you guys think?

2. macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I think you answered your own question. I would definitely say go with the macbook. It is more future proof and you have the ability to get applecare which is pretty much essential if you have a laptop. Cheers.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

I should add, I've just lined up a deal from Craigslist for a 15" Powerbook, 1GHZ, 1GB Ram for $500. The $800 Macbook with Applecare and tax comes out to $1,134. So we're talking a pretty big price difference.

4. macrumors 68000

davidjearly

I'd take the PB at that price for her needs. No doubt here at all.
    Try talk the deal down a bit further - $475, but it is still reasonable as it is as long as it is in good condition.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, almost TOO good of a deal. I think I'm going to walk away from the PB because it sounds fishy. It takes some time to find a 12" PB for $600-650, let alone a 15" for $500. I'd think I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing it's not stolen.

6. macrumors 68000

davidjearly

Its not that fishy at all going solely by price. I got my PB 15" (see signature) for $400.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

8. macrumors regular

Don't forget you can buy Applecare within the first year for no additional cost, so you can save some money in the short run. And I bought my applecare off eBay for $50 (same as you need; macbook/ibook), which was a huge savings over what the apple store charges. just a thought.

9. macrumors member

as an almost victim, i have to say be careful on those "too good to be true" Craigslist deals. Whatever you do, don't transfer money in advance. I almost got scammed while looking for an apartment.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah, I'm super careful. There's no reason not to deal exclusively in cash on Craigslist.

11. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the $799 macbook comes to be around $867 after tax (7.75%). applecare can always be added later. so even though it'll be used lightly, i'd still opt for a macbook, because (1) it's intel, (2) it's much faster, (3) you have the option to run windows, (4) it'll be covered under warranty, and (5) it's an all-around good computer. it'll do more for you for longer as well. go with the macbook.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably better resale in a couple of years too, right?

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

Is this within a year of the manufacture date, or a year from when you buy it? Does this only apply if you buy it from Apple? And, does it apply to refurbs?

14. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can buy applecare up to a year after the purchase date. i don't know about the second question, but yes, you can buy applecare on refurbished models.

hmm, i never knew you could buy applecare off ebay. go figure.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502

I know you can buy Applecare on refurbished models, my question is do you still have the year window on a refurb?

16. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i was answering yes to that question in particular. so yes, you can buy applecare up to a year after purchase on refurbished models.

17. macrumors 6502a

spencecb

At this point in the game, it really does not make sense to buy a PowerPC based Mac unless it is a PowerMac G5 Quad Core.

For just the extra couple hundred dollars, you get a truly modern Mac that will last much longer than the PowerPC.

18. thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks.

--
    Thank you everyone for your opinions and suggestions on this.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards a $800 refurb Macbook from Apple (I'll have to keep checking as the one from this morning is gone).

If you have any reason why I shouldn't, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again! :D

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, consider this done.

Got a great deal off of Craigslist today. 13" Macbook, 1.83CD, 1.25GB Ram, 60Gb HD for $750. Plus, I should still be able to get AppleCare on it because of its purchase date.

20. macrumors regular