MacBook or Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by badlydrawnboy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

I'm in the market for a new PB.

Thought I would get the new 15" until I heard rumors of an Intel-based laptop being released today. Turns out the rumors are true. So now I'm wondering which is the better choice for me.

I'm a "serious hobbyist" digital photographer, so I use apps like Photoshop and Aperture (though I'm thinking about moving over the Adobe Lightroom, which is faster and less processor intensive). These apps still run in Rosetta emulation, which is apparently painfully slow.

Also, I'm leaving on a five-week trip to Australia on January 31st. Would be really nice (actually, it's downright necessary for my work) to have the laptop for that trip.

However, seems almost silly not to get one of the MacBooks if they're really 3-4x faster than current models, thinner, built-in iSight, remote, great display, etc.

What do you think?

2. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I would agree w/ that. Especially because you'd be kicking yourself after the fact if you just 'settled' with the PPC 15" PB once you had seen the new MacBook in person (eh, at least I would be).

That said... I love Badly Drawn Boy! Own "About a Boy," "Bewilderbeast," "Have You Fed the Fish," and "One Plus One is One." :D

3. macrumors 6502

Buy both! Seriously it could take a while for the new books to arrive. Maybe grab a used PB in the meantime.

4. macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Too late for your trip

Ozone is right. The new MBP won't be out until February at the earliest.

Get a refurb PowerBook for the trip. Then sell it for little less than what you paid and buy the MBP when it comes out.

If the price drops on the G4 don't sweat it, use it. It will still work fine.

I still use a G4 - 400 PB. It's slow but it still works. Downloading images via my PCMCIA slot wouldn't get any faster on a newer machine.

5. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's not going to ship for at least a month - maybe 6-8 weeks for Australia.

6. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

get the cheapest laptop that can actually do what you require for your trip (refurb ibook g4?) and order the macbook. Do NOT spend $2000+ on a top-end powerbook G4 at this point; that's insanity.

7. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

THE KING IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE KING.

Straightforward really.

8. macrumors 6502a

I'm returning my 15" PB and will wait until February for the MacBook Pro.
    I'd hate myself if I didn't.
    Faster processor, better video card, built-in iSight, plus, plus and plus?
    Yea, I'm getting one.
    Plus Applecare of course.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

How are you "returning" your PB 15"? I wasn't under the impression that Apple did returns - only warranty repairs if something is wrong.