Macbook or Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Reem, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Reem macrumors member

Reem

Hi all, :D

I am kind of new to the MAC world... I once had the really old ibook with the handle a long time ago..and I never got a new Mac due to some problems I faced! :(

But now, I want to go back to MAC because many things were developed and I missed using a Mac! So, now I am confused between the Powerbook12 inch or the White Macbook 2Ghz ? I really love the size of the Macbook but I am worried about the intel processor...?:confused:

Please advice me on the best ! :eek:

2. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

Intel based Mac's are faster

Quality control is laughable right now

WWDC is in less than 8 days, new hardware might get announced, that means old hardware becomes cheaper.

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Processor: MacBook is 5x faster

RAM: MacBook has support for up to 2 GB RAM, 12" PB has support for 1.25 GB. The MacBook RAM is 2x faster.

GPU: The PB's 64 MB FX Go5200 beats the 64 MB GMA/950.

Display: MacBook has a 13" widescreen with 1280x800. The PB has a 12" screen with 1024x768. The MB is also much brighter, and has better quality all-over.

Thickness: PB is 3 cm, while MB is 2.75 cm. A noticeable difference.

Connectors: Same, MacBook has digital audio I/O and Gbit Ethernet.

Drive: MacBook has 4x DVD+/-RW. Dunno about the PB.

iSight and FrontRow: Only on MB.

Wieght: PB is 2.1 kg, while MB is 2.36 kg. 260 g is nothing.

Price: Get a refurb. MacBook, and you're well off!

Everything else is the same.

Unless you're gonna work PhotoShop, I'd advice you to go with the MB, they're so cool. And yeah, wait for WWDC, I think CS3 might be released, Intel native...:D Also, MB is not getting a pricedrop.;)

4. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

It's going to become increasingly difficult to purchase a new 12"PBook as they were discontinued a few months back (you'll need to buy a refurb or find a reseller that still has some old stock).

I would go for the macbook as it is the forward looking purchase. All updated apps for Mac OS will be universal binary and you'll get the better performance from an intel machine. The 12"Pbook never had great graphics support so I don't think that even this would be an issue when compared to the macbook.

As for the teething problems - well they are probably a small percentage of machines that moo, whine, overheat and discolour, but if you look around this forum you'll find plenty of people reporting that their macbooks are just fine (mine is absolutely fabulous!).

As the previous posts point out the specs of the 13" macbook are far superior to the 12" pbook.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Intel MacBook: New and Good
    PowerBook : Old and Not as good (cause it's old)

6. Reem thread starter macrumors member

Reem

Defintely Macbook Now :)

Thanks all for your genuine effort in replying to my question...:D

It was really very helpful...Now I will defintely go for the Macbook !! As it is much faster, durable and most softwares will be updated to the universal code!! ;)

Well, now I just have to wait for them to deliver the Macbook White 2GHZ as it is not delivered yet to our country because I was told from a dealer that Apple is going to upgrade the White Macbook to match the black Macbook !

Anywayz thanks sooo much for the help :)

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

PowerBook: Old and busted
    MacBook: New hotness

*Loves my MacBook*

:cool: