Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
I unfortunatly do not have pictures of this, but my macbook started to PEEL where the wristpads are. now I tool this right away to apple, and they gave me a new coputer, but YIKES. it looksed like my compputer got sunburnt and started to peel. and the skin started to peel. scary stuff.
andreas

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I read an article about this the day after the MacBook's were released. This is the first case I've read on the forums about it though. Not saying there weren't others, but this is the first I've seen.

Just out of curiousity, black or white? The article focused on the black model for the most part. Wonder if it makes a difference?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
i assume it is a lot easier to see the peeling on a black macbook rather than a white one. hmmm...

wyrmintheapple

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
Southampton, UK
I accidentally took a chunk out of the MacBook I use for work.....

Its solid black plastic all the way through.

When the MacBook came out there WAS a single blog with some dubious claims that ended up being "reported" as news on all the major sites. It was however only the one person, and in most threads on most forums on most sites It was quickly established that the blog author was perhaps..... giving the truth some additional scope.

I guess your MacBook must have been in the sun, or exposed to some kind of chemical, as I just don't see solid blocks of plastic peeling myself.

I am glad they replaced it though, It sucks having one not in perfect condition.... feels... 'tainted' somehow!!

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
as the above poster states the MacBook is not painted and I've never seen plastic "peel." I wish you had taken some pics but I think what you could have meant was that the case separated?

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Color

it is a white one. i am not exadurating a little bit. I could literally peel off a thin film. like skin. really the best way to describe it was skin coming off a sunburn. and no, it would not be easy to miss.
the strange thing is, the underneath of it, felt like hard plasitc, not rubbery, kind of like the old ibooks. I took it to the apple store, and they gave me no hassle at all. just swapped it out. they said they had never seen this before.
I was shocked as I thought this was made with jusrt a peice of plasitc, but now i know that it is a rubbery film over the top of plastic. this may also be where the discoloration people have spoke of is coming from. this top film may be the problem.
As rthe above poster is saying, the caase seperated, no, this is not the case, the CASE was fine, the computer had no other problems, and this all happened within one day. NO sun. in an office. it was like a thin film coming off the palm rest area. If i had pulled it, I could have probably pulled all the greyish color off the inside of the case.
andreas

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
i have a blackbook, but i can tell yoou that the blackbook at my local Apple store had a scratch through the paint on the top near the apple... i could see white underneath... i even jokingly asked the guy if my blackbook came with some touch up paint... :D

so far so good for me... no chips, scratches, or peeling....

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
posting

I would definitly like infor first hand from people who are having flaking or peeling or chiping problems on the blackbooks. would anyone care to post here?
andreas
Electro Funk said:
i have a blackbook, but i can tell yoou that the blackbook at my local Apple store had a scratch through the paint on the top near the apple... i could see white underneath... i even jokingly asked the guy if my blackbook came with some touch up paint... :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wonder if he had a piece of clear plastic on his macbook and it was that that was peeling. Bizzare anyway.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Electro Funk said:

that's curious as wyrmintheapple says in a post above "I accidentally took a chunk out of the MacBook I use for work.....

Its solid black plastic all the way through....."
and yet you say you saw white underneath??? you cant both be correct now can you???

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
^ Perhaps the ones at the Apple store were preproduction units with paint instead of the production plastic, or maybe it had been scratched with something that left a white mark. I'd imagine the white MacBook's peeling might have something to do with the glossy finish it has. I have a 20-year-old Minolta camera that exhibits something similar; the very top surface of the plastic has begun to flake away in certain areas, revealing a very slightly shinier plastic underneath.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
this is waht im worried about

I know the plastic underneath is plastic, and it is black, but really, real world use, in and out of a backpack, with a few books, how easily will this scratch? how easily will it peel? this is what im worried about, i dont want something that is going to look like **** in 6 months, or even 3 years. expect it to last the life of the computer with good normal care. now, a scratch here or there is one thing, but if it starts to peel, that is kind of bull
andreas
FullmetalZ26 said:
^ Perhaps the ones at the Apple store were preproduction units with paint instead of the production plastic, or maybe it had been scratched with something that left a white mark. I'd imagine the white MacBook's peeling might have something to do with the glossy finish it has. I have a 20-year-old Minolta camera that exhibits something similar; the very top surface of the plastic has begun to flake away in certain areas, revealing a very slightly shinier plastic underneath.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I wonder if they changed their coloring systems when they reformulated the plastic for the cases?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.