MacBook Power and Preformance Going down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas04, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Well, recelntly i've noticed two things on my MacBook that bug me... One is that when I used to get 3:30hrs of Batterylife, its now down to about 2hrs.... and ive calabrated the battery and reset my pRam and everthing. still getting 2hrs... :mad: Also my Handbrake is encoding slower... I used to be able to rip a DVD to my ipod at 98FPS... Crazy fast! Now im down to 33fps... with no apps running in the background.... Anyway to fix these two problems or are there any suggestions? Thanks

2. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

I don't know why that would happen.
    My MBP is still running as fast or
    faster than that day I got it, and battery
    is still the same even though I've only
    calibrated it once.

Maybe you need to empty your trash,
    make sure your hard drive has room,
    do a repair permissions, and turn on
    File Vault.

3. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

File Vault is baaaaaaaad. Stay away from that. It will screw up your chances of getting information back in case of a failure, etc.

5. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't use it, but I've seen FileVault
    work some wonders for the speed of a
    Powermac G5 before. Holy crap.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

No way. FileVault slows things wayyy down because the computer has to encrypt/decrypt all the file written to the disk image on your drive.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I would check Activity Monitor to make sure there are no processes running that are slowing you down. It sounds like you might have something running all the time that is sucking CPU power (and therefore battery power).

8. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Repaired Permissions... was gunna do file fault till i found out what it did and said no thank you. But no luck so far... still have the same problems... Im going to let the computer fall asleep today and stay asleep for a good amount of time then power back on again, do the whole calibration process yet again. When i get home if it is still going on i'll call Apple. :(

Edit: Activity Monitor looks pretty normal.. nothing to out of the ordinary..

Thank yall for the input.. keep sending em in plz

EDIT: Okay so I calibrated completley and let it off for like 6hrs and recharged... didnt use it till it was fully charged and it gave me 2:27 minutes! YEAH!.... a whole 10 min up... makes me angry... either way are there any other suggestions?