Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuckles25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Texas
I just bought a macbook 2.0/1GB RAM and M Audio MIDI workstation that came with abelton Live Lite 4. But when I run the demo song for Live its running too slow and it sounds choppy, like a dying squirrel. Is it native to the new macs? need 2 GB of ram? I dont think I should upgrade to the macbook pro, if im right, the only real difference is the graphics card. and another question will i be able to run PTools LE and Reason smoothly? sorry, I did my reasearch and got advise but since i bought the macbook, ableton just kind of made me disappointed at my decision on buying all this equipment. Garage Band runs just fine Im just hopeing that the problem is in ableton not being native to the new macs.....I know im ignorant to all this new mac and audio business but I still need advice.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i can't tell you why Live would run badly (unless it's not UB yet?), but rest assured PTLE and Reason will run fine. if you're doing a lot of audio, use an external firewire drive for that.

fyi -- i did an audio stress test a couple years ago on my g3/800 ibook. i was able to simultaneously play back 16 tracks of 96/24 audio while recording 8. this was with PTLE, a digi002r, and an external f/w drive with an 8 meg cache.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Live Lite 4 is not UB. The full version 5.2 runs on Intel Macs.

Though, check your Energy Saver settings on the Macbook. Should be set to optimal.
It may help Live lite 4 run better.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
I'm running Pro Tools 7.1.1 on my MBP with 1 GB Ram 2.0 Ghz and when I'm recording, PT only takes up about 200-300 MB of RAM. Running a Macbook with PT and Reason should be MORE than fine. As long as Reason is a Universal program, which I think it is now.

chuckles25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Texas
thanx

thanx for your help. I think ill try downloading the newer version and trying all the options u guys gave me and ill post back whatever worked ......and UB stands for Universal B???????

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Also, with high end audio apps, using an external audio interface will help handle high bit rates/high sample rates, etc than onboard sound. Esp with a laptop. Firewire devices are best.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
Scott is correct. I use MBox which is hooked up by USB but I record to a 160GB external firewire drive. I had several problems before I started to do this. And UB stands for Universal Binary.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah, I'm running a MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM with Pro Tools 7.1.1 on a Digi002 system. I had Reason 3, got the free download for the Universal Binary (at least for me it was) to run it on the Intel system to do a remix I've been working on.

Running pretty smoothly. Just make sure you also have a firewire drive for your audio as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.