Macbook pricing vs other manufacturers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dunepilot, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The macbook is C2D, yes. Where have you been? :)

I think Apple Macbooks are cheap compared to similar PCs. Don't forget the C2D used in the macbook is a the t7400 not the lesser chips used a lot by Dell etc.

Edit: And get him to price up a 13.3" dell and then compare. Smaller is not cheaper. Also a lot of customers get edu discount. My 2GHz/1GB/120GB/5400rpm black macbook cost 858 quid with 3 years warranty. I don't think Dell can match that.

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

No, I don't think that the MacBook costs more than other manufacturers'. I just helped my girlfriend go shopping for a laptop about month ago so I'm pretty well informed about what other offerings are out there. The fact is the MacBook is a great value for a C2D laptop at a compact 13.3" widescreen size and relatively light 5.2 lb. weight.

The "closest" laptop to the MacBook is the Sony Vaio C190. When configured with a DVD burner, 1 GB RAM, and 80 GB hard drive it's $1269, so $30 less than a comparably equipped MacBook. The main differences between the two laptops are: the Vaio has an Express Card/34 slot, but the MacBook has a built-in camera. Also, the Vaio is significantly thicker than the MacBook (1.5" vs. 1"). And of course, the Vaio can't run OS X :) (whereas the MacBook *can* run Windows).

Comparisons to other manufacturers (Dell, HP) are more difficult since they don't offer the specific 13.3" size. But the closest thing would be the Dell E1405. I configured it with the default (80 GB drive, DVD burner, 1 GB RAM) and it's $1169. Still in the same ballpark. *But* when you add glossy screen and draft-N wi-fi (which the MB has), the price goes up to $1248.

The most impressive deal, though is probably the HP Pavilion dv2000t. Configured with 80 GB drive, DVD burner, 1 GB RAM, *and* a built-in web cam, it's only $1120. Unquestionably a good deal. So it comes down to if running OS X is worth the extra $180.

P.S. My Girlfriend ended up willing to spend more money for Sony's ultra-thin Vaio SZ series. She was able to pick up one of the last remaining Core Duo models for $1689. Those things are 13.3" but only 3.8 lbs. Amazing machines - they're even featured in the new Bond movie!! Still, I'm quite happy with my lil' MacBook that I got for just $1099.