Macbook Pro 1,1 Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StatutoryGrapes, Feb 27, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

After the most recent update, I've decided to hold out another year before I upgrade my 2006 Core Duo, 2.0ghz 15" MBP. I would like to upgrade the hard drive to a 7200 rpm, 320gb drive, but I'm finding conflicting information on SATA compatibility and heat problems with using a 7200 rpm drive in the MBP 1,1, which has always run pretty hot.

I would really appreciate it if someone who has upgraded their MBP 1,1 to a 7200rpm drive would let me know what drive they used, and how their results have been.

Also, can I use my friends leopard installer disk (2008 MBP) to boot from before I restore using my time machine backup? I run snow leopard currently.

Thanks for the help.

2. macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I put one of those hard drives in my MacBook 1,1 (not pro) a while ago and it worked fine.

3. macrumors 603

It should be just fine heatwise, as far as using your friend's disk, no you can't restore from it, as it is more recent than the computer you have, you need either the OS X snow leopard disk to do an install, or you need to use the tiger disk you had with your MBP and upgrade all the way to SL.