Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

Was thinking it would be a good idea if Apple put a number pad on the 17" MacBook Pro.

Here's a quick mockup I came up with:

3751344959_92e52758cb_o.png

If the speakers were moved up the top, it would leave plenty of room for a number pad on the right.
Probably wouldn't work in regards to how the internals are arranged but I thought it would be a good addition.

Does anyone else agree?

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
hahahaha :D:D
thats odd man.
i don't want it.
Thanks for the inspiration! :eek:

I like it.
Only thing that would concern me is the speakers at the top of the keyboard... they may get a little dirty/dusty after a while.
Do you think it would be any worse than having them at the side as they currently are?

I just realised that this would make it different to the rest of the line (not the number pad, but having the speakers in a different spot), but oh well.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Wouldn't the heel of your right hand be resting on the trackpad when you are in the "home" typing position? I guess you could shift the trackpad to the left, though.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Wouldn't the heel of your right hand be resting on the trackpad when you are in the "home" typing position? I guess you could shift the trackpad to the left, though.

Apple would never shift something like the trackpad to the left, as they like there products symmetric, as you might remember the tale/legend of the white MacBook, where two screws on one side had a purpose, but on the other side of the MB they were just there to not throw off the visual balance.
apple-macbook-laptop-ports-all.jpg

To the OP: I like your mockup, but I think the speakers would be impractical on the top, as beneath that the logic board sleeps its hot dreams.

gf2gpjlfkvbljldzlarge.jpeg

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Hi all,

Was thinking it would be a good idea if Apple put a number pad on the 17" MacBook Pro.

If the speakers were moved up the top, it would leave plenty of room for a number pad on the right.
Probably wouldn't work in regards to how the internals are arranged but I thought it would be a good addition.

Does anyone else agree?

Why? If you want a dedicated number pad, you could add a USB one, or slave a Touch to be one. I don't think the majority of MBP users need or want one, hence it's not there (not even getting into what Ive's and Jobs might say...)

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I think it looks good. Only problem is the location of the trackpad, and like it was said above, I don't think Apple would off-center it.

But good mock-up. It does have a nice clean look to it.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
That would be perfect. I would LOVE a number pad. AND if you move the keyboard down two inches your palms will comfortably rest on the palmrest and not dig into your wrist.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Apple wont make something that isnt symmetrical. They also wont make the 17" visually distinct from the 13 and 15" models.

A number pad is becoming increasingly a niche product. If you need one you are well advised to use either a stand alone pad or the full size Apple keyboard.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Apple wont make something that isnt symmetrical. They also wont make the 17" visually distinct from the 13 and 15" models.

A number pad is becoming increasingly a niche product. If you need one you are well advised to use either a stand alone pad or the full size Apple keyboard.

Aren't 17" laptop displays a niche product? ExpressCard slots? MiniDisplay Port? Dual graphics? $4000 computers?

I see where you're coming from but think this would be a nice addition.

In regards to making it distinct from the others, I agree with you there.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
I have never ever seen the need for a number pad. And its not because I never have need to enter numerical data because I do often for business purposes. Just never felt the urge to use the number pad even when on a full size desktop keyboard.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've had maybe one or two customers ask why there's no number pad on the 17" so there's definitely a very small market out there.

Personally I'm not a fan of an off-centre keyboard. On a desktop I can line it up and the numeric pad is great to have but on a laptop where I can't move the keyboard I like it to be as close to centred as possible.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I don't see why we can't use the trackpad as a virtual numberpad, it's certainly big enough.

We can have a special swipe that turns the trackpad into a numberpad, we type the numbers and do the swipe again to return it to normal.

adamk77

Suspended
Jan 6, 2008
I don't see why we can't use the trackpad as a virtual numberpad, it's certainly big enough.

We can have a special swipe that turns the trackpad into a numberpad, we type the numbers and do the swipe again to return it to normal.

That's a great idea!

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Hi all,

Does anyone else agree?

That's a brilliant idea. Really!

I have never ever seen the need for a number pad. And its not because I never have need to enter numerical data because I do often for business purposes. Just never felt the urge to use the number pad even when on a full size desktop keyboard.

I often have to compile datasets by hand from questionares etc and it's a total pain in the ass without a numeric pad.

The broblem with other 17 inch laptops is that the keyboard gets offset after the addition of the numeric keyboard. Given that the unibody is much slimer than most 17 inch cases I think it would be less of an issue but would probably upset some people

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It isn't really needed now.

There is shortcuts in Pro Apps that you can assign different things for the numpad to do, but there is also USB controllers that are far more useful.

Fn + number will do for me.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's nice to have a number pad, but if you've ever used a full keyboard on a laptop computer, you will find it very awkward because you have to shift your hands to the left to type, while you can't move the screen.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
I think the problem with this onfiguration is that your palm rests and thus hands are not in the middle of the keyboard which makes typing very hard :(

Hi all,

Does anyone else agree?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
As a user of Apple's 17" notebooks for 6 years now - PLEASE NO!

Are there times it would be useful? Yes. But far outweighed by the inconvenience of an off-centered keyboard. Buy a usb keypad if you want one so bad.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I like it.

Only thing that would concern me is the speakers at the top of the keyboard... they may get a little dirty/dusty after a while.
The speakers would not collect more or less dust being on the bottom, side, or top.
Yes, but technically, a good typist is not resting their wrists. ;)
Picture 3.jpg Picture 4.jpg

Why? If you want a dedicated number pad, you could add a USB one, or slave a Touch to be one. I don't think the majority of MBP users need or want one, hence it's not there (not even getting into what Ive's and Jobs might say...)
I don't like it when people say that we should just add it. Now on a notebook I get it, really. I've owned a 17" and it had a number pad. It was perfect because it was a desktop replacement and I was big into gaming back then. However, it's like the AL keyboards now. If you want wireless then you're SOL on a number pad. Some people do work with numbers and the missing number pad is annoying. If anything, there should be two options.

Jobs wants symmetry; a built-in keypad won't happen.

There you have it. Jobs and TS are clearly on speaking terms again. It won't happen, TS said so. ;)

Frankly, the placement of the keyboard in relation to the trackpad would be an issue and my opinion is it is form over function most of the time. In this case, the missing function is a good thing.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia

Any ideas on how this would work? Or do you mean if they turned it into some sort of touch-screen?
Would definitely be more useful (there where you need it, not when you don't).

Did anyone notice that the number pad has the "black dot" illusion? :p

Annoying isn't it? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.