MacBook Pro: 2.53 ghz or 2.8 ghz? Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ccamire, Nov 26, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Here’s my question…

I’m buying a new MacBook Pro this week, and I can’t decide whether to get the 2.53 ghz model or the 2.8 ghz model. I don’t play games, but I will be recording a lot of music. I’ll be producing songs with as many as 20 tracks each with lots of effects like reverb, compression, etc.

I also want this to be the only computer I use (for internet, photos, word processing, maybe some video) for at least the next six years.

So what do you think? Is it worth the extra money to upgrade to the 2.8 ghz model, or is the 2.53 ghz model a better value? I already plan on getting the 7200 rpm hard drive.

This will be my first Mac. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. macrumors regular

In the case of computers for audio work, always go for better if you can afford it. Especially if you want it to last a long time.

I'm hoping my MBP will last around another 2 and a half years, so I bought the most powerful model I could (s/h at the time).

JC

3. macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I went for the 2.53 because there's nothing the 2.8 can do that the 2.53 can't. Buying a faster processor as "future proofing" is a myth. It doesn't work and has been proven. That said, it is a bit faster and if money is no object then go for it. My reasoning is having it compute a task 1 second faster isn't going to make a difference to me. The 2.53 is a powerhouse and can handle large audio sessions. I also went for the 7200 drive and use it for audio but also my main computer right now.

4. macrumors newbie

Mbox 2 pro with macbook pro

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies for not knowing how to start a new thread...

This is to mowingdevil or anyone else with this kind of setup:

I am about to purchase a new(late 2008) macbook pro 2.53ghz and the mbox 2 pro to go with it. Has anyone been able to connect these two succesfully as there is a firewire 400 on the mbox 2 pro and only a 800 on the mbp. Digidesign are still running tests for converter cables and express card solutions, but their tests are weeks away from complete. For certain circumstances I need to buy the gear sooner rather than later... Can anyone please advise, I would be very grateful...

Also, how quiet will the fans be when this system is working, I am mostly acoustic vocal based and do not yet have the studio I dream of... quite the contrary...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

5. macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I can only attest to the Duet which runs perfectly fine w/ a basic FireWire 800 to 400 cable, no adapter required. I don't see any reason why the MBox wouldn't work fine since the 800 port is backwards compatible and is made to handle 400 devices...yet this is Digidesign we're talking about so you never know.

Also, my FireWire 400 external drive works great w/ the same cable as well.

6. macrumors newbie

mbox 2 pro with macbook pro

thanks MowingDevil,

any issues with a loud fan on macbook pro?

Cheers

7. macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Not at all, these things are as quiet as could possibly be expected. Even when the fans get going I don't find them that loud unless you're really cooking the machine and they jack up to around 6000rpm. At 4000 I still find them quiet like a slight wind off in the distance, seriously thats about it.

8. macrumors regular

Plumbstone

Hi,

My MBP hasnt arried yet but I use a 400-800 cable with an Mbox2pro and a Macpro in my studio with no problems at all so I am pretty sure it will be fine with a MBP too.

P

9. macrumors newbie

powering the mbox 2 pro

hi plumbstone,

Can you tell me does the 800/400 cable still power the mbox 2 pro - so's i can be mobile...

cheers for your help
    calure

10. macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

No reason why it shouldn't, my 800-400 cable powers my Duet.

11. macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for that MowingDevil - I've also heard from the digisupport on their forum that it should, so I'm gonna make an educated gamble...

cheers all