Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
ok so i have seen a lot of.. "should i but the MBP now or wait"
MBP 2011.. what will it be like...

and well i for one have gotten quite tired of it and i know many others have also.. so i have created this thread in the hopes that an admin will see this and make this a sticky.. that way less threads and save energy (somehow)..

so im requesting anyone and everyone to please contribute their ideas to what 2011 might be like..(im not sure if this is against forum rules.. but what im saying is think of this as any other MBP 2011 thread)

IMPORTANT: if you have questions on whether to buy now or wait go over to this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11458172#post11458172

this is ONLY for PREDICTIONS and things like that...

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
OK back to business:
according to the data collected by Buyer's Guide (mac rumors)
mr_mbp_guide.png

we see a 10 month trend where hte new releases/update is 10 months after the previous one. based on that if Apple last released the MBP in April.. 10 months from that would be February 2011.
however, this is not official- it is Apple, so there is no 100% guesses.

we do know one thing though. the C2D processors are going to be discontinued, so there is a huge possibility that Apple will take up Intel i3's + or the AMD chips...

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Gosh, can we merge the other threads with this one? It's tiring having to type the same stuff over and over again, unless you're trying to up post count. Maybe they should have another merged thread like the "I just bought my new ... " ones.

Back to the topic, I really hope they'd scrap the superdrive in the 13', and give it the true "Pro" status, where we have an option of at least (fingers crossed) an i3 and an i5 (SB ones) to choose from, discrete graphics (the 330m would be perfect), hopefully LP (but i'm not very confident about this), SSD standard (user-replaceable ones please! But even if the SSD is not a standard we could swap it out ourselves, its no problem), the same great 10 hour battery (hopefully able to hit 11 with SB and the extra space available to expand the battery after removing the superdrive), the same great screen with 1440x900 resolution found on the 13' MBA, Facetime? (I think its quite probable).

I wonder if this model is one of the last unibody models we will see, probably Apple has something else in mind, like liquidmetal or something. I hope it weighs less though, 2+kg is still a bit on the heavy side. But please Apple, don't make it any thinner or taper the edges like the MBA? It wouldn't look Pro that way, and performance such as cooling might be sacrificed.

Of course, we'd all be happy if Apple proved me all wrong with stuff that exceeded my expectations!

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
oh yes. it is a 6-10 (10 being max) trend.. thank you.
Perdification-
1. what is LD? im sry but im not too technologically smart haha :D

i actually think that apple will put in SSD's because their announcement for the MBA said "the next generation of MACBOOKS" so im guessing they will be including the SSD's and the "instant on" features. what i see is the MBA in a more advanced stage- it will have some features of the MBP but majority will be the on this new development of the Air.
what i mean is that we will see updated screen res. and the SSD most likely. we will also see updated specs.. i believe the SB has 2.5 Ghz as their lowest. i will do a little more research and post a link..

another thing to consider is the new OSX Lion which will be basically the iOS and OSX combined (in a sense) so i see some updated track-pad features (although that might be a firmware update later on when OSX Lion gets released)..

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
Hopefully a design change thats just as elegant and sexy as the current one. I just wan something new and exciting lol. A little thinner would be nice. I dont care about weight just thinner would be cool.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
There is already a thread with the exact same topic. If you want 20+ predictions, it's there.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
There is already a thread with the exact same topic. If you want 20+ predictions, it's there.

right but as you have already seen.. no one uses MRoogle anymore.. they just post new threads.. i hope that an admin sees this and makes it a sticky or maybe people dont create new posts and see this one...

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
right but as you have already seen.. no one uses MRoogle anymore.. they just post new threads.. i hope that an admin sees this and makes it a sticky or maybe people dont create new posts and see this one...
X2
Also who gives a ****? This is just an online forum. Also, speculation is fun :D

Last edited by a moderator:

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009

Have you seen a forum with 15 stickies? No thanks. If we do sticky, it'd be better to sticky the previous thread anyways.

applepearpp

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
the forthcoming sandy bridge chips are desktop grade. so i don't know if apple is really going to release something marvelous in q1 2011

I do hope for something tho.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
the forthcoming sandy bridge chips are desktop grade. so i don't know if apple is really going to release something marvelous in q1 2011

I do hope for something tho.

Source please. Mobile chips are coming in Q1, just like desktop chips. Why wouldn't Intel release them all in CES? First SBs will be mainstream parts, not high-end like it was with Nehalem

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
oh yes. it is a 6-10 (10 being max) trend.. thank you.
Perdification-
1. what is LD? im sry but im not too technologically smart haha :D

i actually think that apple will put in SSD's because their announcement for the MBA said "the next generation of MACBOOKS" so im guessing they will be including the SSD's and the "instant on" features. what i see is the MBA in a more advanced stage- it will have some features of the MBP but majority will be the on this new development of the Air.
what i mean is that we will see updated screen res. and the SSD most likely. we will also see updated specs.. i believe the SB has 2.5 Ghz as their lowest. i will do a little more research and post a link..

another thing to consider is the new OSX Lion which will be basically the iOS and OSX combined (in a sense) so i see some updated track-pad features (although that might be a firmware update later on when OSX Lion gets released)..

It's LP by the way, not LD. LP just means Light Peak interface to be release by Intel, soon.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Have you seen a forum with 15 stickies? No thanks. If we do sticky, it'd be better to sticky the previous thread anyways.

here is a thoughtful idea.. please contribute :D

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
Just a quick note: Keep in mind that Apple seems to be moving to 1-year product cycles on most of their hardware products recently.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
i have a question.. do you guys think that apple will remove the 13" MBP from the line if they dont find a way to incorporate the i3/5 processors?

and what are the chances of them removing the Optical Drive?
i mean they have already started to ship the OS on a USB for the MBA, and like another thread said: "They removed the CD form iTunes logo"

so maybe a redesign of the OD will be something apple will do.. after all OSX App store launches in January (right) so maybe???

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
i have a question.. do you guys think that apple will remove the 13" MBP from the line if they dont find a way to incorporate the i3/5 processors?

and what are the chances of them removing the Optical Drive?
i mean they have already started to ship the OS on a USB for the MBA, and like another thread said: "They removed the CD form iTunes logo"

so maybe a redesign of the OD will be something apple will do.. after all OSX App store launches in January (right) so maybe???

if they cant upgrade the specs on the 13 than they should discontinue it. its only advantage over the air would be storage space then and not worth the buy.

that would make sense though, the air line will have 2 sizes (11 and 13) and the pro line can have 2 sizes (15 and 17)

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
The reason why they don't include the i3 at the moment is because it would tie them to Intel's crappy graphics chip (which is not only bad in terms of hardware but also has incredibly bad drivers).

Heat is not the big problem. The TDP of the i3 is lower than that of the C2D+320M. And besides: If Sony is able to pack a Core i7 into a 13" enclosure, why shouldn't Apple be able to do it with a much lower power CPU?

The MacBook Pro 13" is their best-selling computer, why the hell would they discontinue it? The 13" MacBook Air existed even before the 13" MacBook Pro came out, so that can't be a reason.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Heat is not the big problem. The TDP of the i3 is lower than that of the C2D+320M. And besides: If Sony is able to pack a Core i7 into a 13" enclosure, why shouldn't Apple be able to do it with a much lower power CPU?

The reason why Sony can cram i7 in their Z series is due to form factor. Vaio Z is considerably thicker than a MacBook Pro 13" It has some serious grills on the sides to allow heat to escape. The Z also has poorer battery life than MBP. But I agree if Vaio Z comes with Mac OS X, it is probably the best All Round laptop ever and I would gladly buy one myself. Apple needs to step up their game seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.