MacBook Pro + 30" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brianus, Mar 28, 2007.

1. brianus macrumors 6502

Just wondering if anybody who has used a 30" cinema display connected to an MBP could say a bit about how that little graphics card performs for this giant monitor. Effects, video playback (HD and otherwise), UI responsiveness, Exposé, Dashboard, games... how does it stack up? Is it a worthy combination for any of the above, or does the notebook struggle a little? Also, any difference between performance when the 30" is used as the sole monitor and when both the notebook's 15" or 17" screen and the 30" are used?

I have some experience with computers which *technically* work with larger or multiple monitors but just can't handle them gracefully. I'd love to have a laptop *and* a huge screen, but if it's too good to be true, I'd probably have to go with a mac pro (overkill, but what else works with the 30"?).

2. TaylorB macrumors regular

I've tried it before and I could run everything like I normally do on my 24". Seemed perfectly fine to me, but I can't even tell a difference when I have the 24" hooked up.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Not addressing your point directly, but I have a 24" monitor hooked up to my Macbook and although it works, the visual goodies definitely aren't as smooth as when its just powering it's own 13" screen. Things like Front Row and Expose (can't be arsed finding the accent for the last e) aren't as smooth as they could be, and depending on what mood my MB is in, will sometimes just plain jump.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's a MacBook. Its graphics card is not nearly as powerful nor does it have as much video memory available to it as the MacBook Pro. I don't see how the comparison is helpful, since the OP is asking about the Pro.

The 30" on a MBP is fine, I've used that setup before. No observable choppiness.

6. brianus thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, this all sounds pretty encouraging so far! Although if Leopard does have a top secret 3-D UI, I might have to come back and ask this question again in a couple months :D (I wouldn't be buying until at least Leopard and Santa Rosa are out anyway)

Thanks!

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

It was more just making the point that just because Apple says something 'works' doesn't always mean it works as well as it could ;)

8. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't say the 30" monitor works with the macbook.

edit:just read your post again, didn't relize you were talking about the 24, not the 30

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Ermmm...nevermind. :confused:

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HP LP3065 30" With Both Wide Color Gamut & 3 Dual Link DVI Inputs

I would take a look at the HP LP3065 Wide Color Gamut TRIPPLE Dual Link DVI Inputs 30" for about $1600 street if you have a desktop as well. Dual Link DVI Switches are between $400 for a two port to $800 for a four port switch. So the HP pays for itself immediately if you plan to drive it from more than one computer. Even comes with two DL Cables. Such a deal. ;)

11. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Multimedia's on quite a crusade for the HP these days. ;) I can't say I disagree; feature-wise, it's the best. I don't understand why Dell didn't do multiple inputs with theirs, since they have that habit with all their other monitors. My only beef with the HP is that it's butt-ugly (at least in the pictures -- I've never seen it in person). Oh well, I'm still about a year away from my dream setup (a Mac Pro with at least 4GB and 20"/30"/20" monitors arranged like this), so maybe something new will be out by then.

12. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Have A 4 Screen Hookup On My Quad G5 Soon To Be 6 Screens Inc. 8 Core Mac Pro

I have that setup+1 except on the right is a Dell 24" 1920x1200 high and right of that is a 40" 1920x1080 Samsung LN-S4095 HDTV thanks to the ATI Radeon X1900 G5 Mac Edition.

When I get the 8 Core Mac Pro, I'll probably add two HP LP3065 30" with 3 Dual Link DVI Inputs on each for about $3,200. I love the 30" screens. I work in the dark so I don't see the "Butt Ugly" frames and stands. They are hidden in the dark behind my bright screens. I jsut see 6 floating screens, two are an old PowerBook G4 + a rotated Dell 20" 1200x1600 high to the left of the Quad's 4 screens. The Mac Pro screens will be to the right of the HDTV for a total of 8.

Are you sure you don't want the 3 DL DVI Input 30" HP LP3065 brianus? It's got the same superior High Color Gamut as the Dell with 3 inputs for no more money. Even includes two Dual Link Cables. I think it's much better way to go when you spend that much money. Otherwise later you'll have to buy a 4 port DL DVI Switch for $800.

Here are the details at the Hewlett Packard website.

13. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Love my 30 inch ACD

I love my 30 inch Apple ACD -- for print production it still reigns king. For Video production I would go wide gamut HP or Dell (better value).

I use my 23 inch ACD from time to time with my MBP and it works fine. Never tried the 30.

D

14. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

One additional wonderful thing about the HP (that you may want to add to your sales pitch, Multimedia ;) ) is that it is the only 30"-er capable of HDCP over dual link DVI. This means that it can play HD content in all its glory (once players become available for Mac), once video card makers support this (all current cards only do HDCP over single-link DVI). The Dell, purportedly, is just like the video cards and will only do HDCP over single-link, thus reducing the resolution. So this is a nice bit of future-proofing.

There's no reason to get the Dell when you get more features for the same money with the HP.

15. Attonine macrumors 6502a

This is exactly my setup, no problems whatever.

16. pengu macrumors 6502a

Recommending a good product is one thing. but sweet jesus dude, why do you have to question everyone's choices on what monitor to buy. and for the love of god, get over the extra DVI inputs. sure, a nice feature if its there, but EVERY SINGLE TIME you make the claim "you wont have to buy an $800 dvi switch later".. no, and most people wont have to with a Dell, IBM, Apple, Sony or Benq monitor either, because VERY FEW PEOPLE will be actively switching back and forth.