Macbook Pro: Advice, anyone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Moby Dick, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Moby Dick macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am currently looking into buying a new mac. The Macbook Pro is currently my favourite. Yet, I do hope someone can help me with the following question:

a) I shall be travelling to Asia soon. Can I switch the plug and power supply (from 230 to 110 Volt)? With my Wallstreet this was no problem (a long time ago), maybe with the Macbook/Pro?

b) I need both OSX and Windows XP installed (for Windows only software such as Questionmark Perception, SPSS etc). Assuming that Leopard is not out for a while will it be a problem to install this at a later date? I.e. I'll install Tiger and XP for now. What happens with the Leopard? Do I need to clean install?

Anyway, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Still not a problem, as long as you have the outlet/power port adapters. It'll handle the other voltages.
    I don't know for certain, esp. because Boot Camp is officially in Leopard and replaces the beta version out now.

I suspect you'll be able to upgrade without an issue. It is possible you'll need to reinstall Windows, but my money is on not needing to.

3. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

well luckily you don't need to install windows to run pc software! Try Crossover, it's a porter of software (for example all I had to do was install crossover, choose which version of windows to emulate and hey presto I had half life 2 on my MBP)

more can be found here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

4. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

You may want to be careful and look into the requirements for SPSS. Last time I checked it did not work correctly on Intel Macs for some reason, something with how it computes stuff.

But Besides that, the MBP is a GREAT choice :)

5. Moby Dick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Dear all,

thanks for your input. This was really useful.

best wishes.